Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default NSBR: Skin Care Regimen

So, I'm turning 30 this year and I'm realizing that I'm going to have to start taking care of my skin if I want it to still look good in another 10, 20, 30 yrs. But I'm clueless. I have no older sisters to turn to. My mother has never used anything for her own skin. So I thought I'd come to all of you here. You always seem to have all the answers... lol.

So what do you use? What products in general? What brands? What do you stay clear of?

Personally I have combo skin. And need something with SPF in it to add a bit of protection from the sun since I don't normally wear sunscreen either.

Brands I'm currently considering trying are Olay (easy to find and they have a great website that reccomended a few things) and The Body Shop (we'll be going to edmonton next month so I'd be able to stock up if I knew what to look for).

Thanks for your help ladies!!!

Last edited by mpatry; 03-13-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use a couple of products from Bath & Body Works that I love. If I had more money (or a husband who valued beauty products, lol) I'd use their Patricia Wexler, MD line exclusively.

I use their 2 step Exfoliating Wipes and eye cream. I got my SIL the skin care starter kit for Christmas, and she loves it.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have used coconut oil on my whole body, face to toes, for the past 10 years or so. I still am prone to occasional breakouts but believe it or not, it doesn't cause me to break out even though it's an oil. It fades ages spots and has gotten rid of the stretch marks I got 23 years ago when DS was born. It is awesome for dry cracked winter feet. I also don't notice the fine lines around my eyes and mouth that most of my friends have and my sister (who is 4 years younger than me and has decided that I look better and has started to us it also - LOL) It doesn't have an SPF though, so if I know I'm going to be outside in the sun quite a bit I do apply a sunscreen in the morning after I use the coconut oil. (I just use a sunscreen made for faces - not a moisturizing cream with SPF).
Old 03-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I had found a nice organic line on etsy I liked, but she closed up shop so I am looking again now. I have acne prone skin, but am 31 so start to worry about fine lines. Its tough. I think I may need to try that coconut oil on my feet and stretch marks though, where do you get it?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

yes Im interested in the coconut oil too. My problem is so many products make me breakout in a rash. Like I tried some of that lotion that is supposed to give your skin a little bit of a glow but its not a self tanner...the name is slipping my mind right now. I used it all over except my face and within a few minutes my skin had turned red and itchy. I tend to try to stay out of the sun as much as possible during peak hours because I burn really easily even with sunscreen.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Coconut oil is a-ma-zing. Seriously. I'm super acne prone and it doesn't make me break out. We use it for everything. Body lotion, face cream, I even have a tub of it for diaper rash (it's safe for cloth). It also smells yummy.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I get my coconut oil at our natural living center (natural foods store). Make sure you get virgin coconut oil that is cold-pressed and unrefined. A 12-ounce jar is about $9 and it will last you a while. Coconut oil is solid at room temp. You just run your fingers across the top and it will melt then rub it on your face, hands, feet, everywhere! It really is amazing and I've talked all my friends into using it. My sister has super sensitive skin - like there is only 1 product that she has ever been able to use, and she started using the coconut oil a couple weeks ago and hasn't had any problems.

It doesn't really have any smell - it's hard to describe - a hint of coconut I guess. I put it on about 10 minutes before I want to apply my makeup and then soaks right in.

I also cook with it - it helps boost the metabolism. I love popping popcorn in it. I use it for stir frys and even for baking in place of butter since it is solid at room temp.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I did a quick search and it says it is good for lowering cholesterol as well.

Do you use the same coconut oil for lotion that you do for cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
I get my coconut oil at our natural living center (natural foods store). Make sure you get virgin coconut oil that is cold-pressed and unrefined. A 12-ounce jar is about $9 and it will last you a while. Coconut oil is solid at room temp. You just run your fingers across the top and it will melt then rub it on your face, hands, feet, everywhere! It really is amazing and I've talked all my friends into using it. My sister has super sensitive skin - like there is only 1 product that she has ever been able to use, and she started using the coconut oil a couple weeks ago and hasn't had any problems.

It doesn't really have any smell - it's hard to describe - a hint of coconut I guess. I put it on about 10 minutes before I want to apply my makeup and then soaks right in.

I also cook with it - it helps boost the metabolism. I love popping popcorn in it. I use it for stir frys and even for baking in place of butter since it is solid at room temp.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Jessica - yes I do use the same. At the store where I get it you can actuallly get 5-pound tubs of it - LOL. I buy that and scoop out enough to fill a 12-ounce jar and keep that in the bathroom for my skin. I keep the tub in the kitchen cupboard for cooking.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

i'm allergic to coconut.. i think putting it on my face would be disasterous.. lol. too bad :[
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no Lauren! Probably not a good idea
Old 03-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Thanks girls! I'm totally going to look for some of the coconut oil tomorrow. Not sure about putting it on my face but definitely will use on my stretch marked waist and thighs!

Might be hard to find though small towns can really be a pain sometimes. But I'll look
Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
i'm allergic to coconut.. i think putting it on my face would be disasterous.. lol. too bad :[
me too. Just handling coconuts at work makes my hands super itchy and I always wash them and use hand sanitizer immediately :/