Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Got a dSLR!!! Now what??? :-)

I finally got a dslr yesterday and part of me is super excited but the other part is just dang terrified!!! I would have loved to get a Canon but my budget allowed me to get the Nikon D40. But I did get 2 lenses with it so I'm happy with that.

I don't even know where to start. The place I got it from offers 18 free lessons (no doubt so they can show me more stuff I'm going to want to buy). I want to buy a book and am torn between two of them - any recommendations?

I'm thinking either the Nikon D40 for Dummies or the Scott Kelby digital photography books. I love Scott Kelby but the digital photography books don't seem to be very in depth so I'm leaning toward the dummy book.

Any words of wisdom?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ihave two books. One is called "The Joy Of Digital Photography" by Jeff Wignall and the other is "Digital Photography" by Micheal Wright. They both offer some lessons in photography and composition etc. Ive read them both cover to cover several times. Two peas offers a series of free lessons. I know there was a link on SSD sometime back. I cant remember where it was now

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I just printed off the stuff from Two Peas and then hit my BIL up for tips. DH has a book, but I'm not bored enough to sit around and read it.

I my D40 btw. Just ordered the 18-200mm lens for it today.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:13 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Did you see Teresa's post about a free one month subscription to a photography site Clickin' Moms? https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...ad.php?t=29502

Good luck with your new camera!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Personally, I would go with Scott Kelby. The dummies book is really just a different version of your manual. Sit down with you manual and read through it. Understanding the different parts of the camera will really help you in terms of what they do and how it affects the photos.

I'm also a big fan of Brian Peterson. His Understanding Exposure and Understanding Shutter Speeds are excellent reads. Check them out of your library if you can to save some dough.

Congrats on your new baby!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I bought a video that was specifically for my model...that is really helpful as well.

I'd suggest buying a 1.5 TB drive!!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would definitely take the lessons...just go to the lessons with will power if you are afraid they are just going to try to sell you something. I wish mine had come with lessons. I do so much better with someone showing me how things work, than with trying to learn from a book. I have the one for dummies (for my camers D80), and I'm still lost!! I've thought about taking classes at the local community college!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Also, just PLAY with it! Start snapping away to get yourself comfortable with it. Start off in auto, and then switch to one of the other program modes (aperature priority is my new favorite - the A on the program dial on the top left of the camera). With either aperature priority or shutter priority modes you can really see how aperature and shutter speed combine to create a proper exposure. Set your aperature, and see what shutter speed the camera picks. Then change the aperature, and see what happens.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Just start taking pictures. See what they look like, what you like & what you don't like about them, then you know what specifically you want to work on first. Take more pictures. Repeat.

I love Scott Kelby's books
Old 06-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the Scott Kelby books (Vol 1/2 and his Lightroom book) and love them, but another book that was super helpful for me when I first got my DSLR was the Magic Lantern Guide for my camera (the XTi). They make them for most of the DSLR's and I thought it was much easier to read & understand than the manual that came with the camera.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...a-20/ref=nosim

There are also some great free lessons available at Two Peas and Pink Ink Studios (you do have to register @ PIS to see the free class forum) that are pretty good and I definitely recommend the Clickin' Moms photography forums. They are a subscription site but you definitely get your $$ worth. I've been a member for a few months and have learned so much from the helpful gals over there, plus many of them have shared some great actions and presets with the members and you can also finds discounts on lots of photog related stuff too! Good luck & have fun with your new toy
Old 06-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Susan Bartolini

I also recommend Understanding Exposure. It is a great book that tells you how the settings on your camera affect the photos you take. I recently just took it out of the library again and it was still helpful and I have had a DSLR for a couple years now. I shoot in either in Aperature Priority or manual and shoot in Raw Format exclusively and my photos are so much better for it. I learned how and why to do that from the book.

There is so much learn and experiment with....it is really addicting. Just get out there and shoot shoot shoot.

Susan
Old 06-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Congrats on your DSLR!, how exciting! I third (or fourth?) Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I just bought it a week ago and It has made everything (re: aperture, shutter speed, ISO) so much easier to understand and he has beautiful photographic examples of everything he discusses. Although I would suggest getting a book to help familiarize yourself with more general camera related stuff first. I just finished reading DSLR's for Dummies, and it helped tremendously in understanding what each feature of a DSLR is for (probably the Scott Kelby books would have this info too, but I have not had a chance to pick them up yet). Also, take advantage of those classes, if you can! My MIL always says that you need to learn something in six different ways before your brain can fully comprehend it...don't know if that's true, but it can't hurt!

-Diana

Creative for Tracie Stroud, Lauren Grier, and Shawna Clingerman
Old 06-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

The Nikon website has an awesome overview of all the features and capabilities of Nikon cameras. It's called digitutor (maybe they have it for other brands, too??). It provides specific and detailed information about your camera thru video tutorials that are easy to understand.

I looked up the D40 and found this link for your camera:

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d40/index.shtml

I have the D50 so I have been watching my video section as well. Like someone before me mentioned, I need to watch it over and over and do some hands-on practice in order for it to fully sink in. :-)
Old 06-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Wow - you gals are the BEST!!! Thanks so much for the info - off to look at those sites and the books!

I tried reading the manual but it got very confusing to me. I also subscribe to that Digital Photography School website and they put out a good newsletter every week. Now that I actually have a dSLR, maybe I can use some of those tips as well.