Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb
Default Gallery Etiquette

So, here's a question for everyone.

A few of the other galleries I post to have added the ability to send you a gallery message when someone comments on one of your LO's, or adds it to their favorites. I think the favorites part is the coolest thing ever.

But. I see that people are adding LO's to their favorites (so they must find them wonderful and full of inspiration) yet aren't leaving a comment.

Why do you think that is?? I find it mind boggling. If you enjoy a LO enough to want to save it to pull inspiration from later on, why not leave a comment on it as well. Most people are ecstatic to see comments on their LO's, let alone that someone is adding it to their favorites. I know that's how I am! Lol!

I was just curious. It's happened to me a few times, and I'm both flattered by it, and confused by it at the same time, lol. I try really hard to never add a LO to my favorites without leaving a comment on it (except for p2d here).
Old 07-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

I try my hardest to leave a comment regardless! I know when I look at my gallery and I have a new comment, it brightens my day. I've only been doing this for 3 months, so my LO's are quite "beginner-ish" and I smile from ear to ear when someone takes time from their day to tell me it looks good!

(Thanks to all that do!)

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 07-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Awesome that I can't spell gallery, LOL!

I'm not even gonna get into layout views vs comments, lol. It's usually depressing for me
Old 07-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know! I loved that MSA added that message/favorites feature. I check it every now and then and yes, people add some of my projects (hybrids in particular) to their faves and don't leave comments. It makes me sad. LOL! I ALWAYS comment on stuff I add to my faves and usually include a message saying I did. I love comments and was surprised that people would like it enough to "favorite it" w/o commenting.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think people are just lazy. I wish you could type a quick reply without hitting the "quick" button in someone's post first. LOL Yes, I am THAT lazy.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I agree that people are just lazy...though it only takes like 30 seconds to comment on a LO. It's so sad! I would never add a LO to my faves and not leave a comment!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow, I have to be honest, I think I'm one of the lazy ones...LOL. I used to keep up on my comments, I love checking out galleries, and especially the galleries of those who leave comments for me. This past month has been so hectic, I've not commented near as much as I like to.

I've marked quite a few as faves!! And sad to say, I don't think I've commented on even close to all of them. When I first started out, marking faves was a cool way for me to see different styles I was really digging, and some styles I didn't think I could ever learn, so it was nice to have them to look back on. A few times I even used it as a way to bookmard a few kits I saw that I wanted. LOL, back when I was super new, it never occured to me to comment at first!! Can people tell here when we mark one of their layouts as a fave? That would be a super lift, I'm sure!
I hate realizing that I don't comment as much as I wish I was. I know what a lift that gives me to see that someone liked my lo as much as I did!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to follow the rule that if I took the time to open a layout I'd leave a comment.

I really wish we could reply to a layout without having to hit any extra buttons, it would make it so much easier.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Gulity! But usually when I add a favorite it is from a link and not from browsing the gallery. If I am browsing then I am also praising.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm fairly new to this, but I always try to leave comments. I won't say there are times when I really enjoy a LO and/or add it to my favs where I don't leave a comment, but it's the exception rather than the norm. When I see lots of views and no comments on my LOs, I assume that people looked and didn't like, lol, but hopefully that's just me overthinking things. I also try extra hard to leave comments for those that have left comments for me. I must admit I LOVE getting comments on my LOs. Every single comment makes my day!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I know I haven't commented on some of my favorites but part of that is I don't like saying what has already been said. Even in real life, if people are talking about something & someone has already said what I am thinking, I tend not to say it myself & just nod. I realize online you can't see a nod so I am making an effort to comment when people have already commented on what drew me to the layout. I do comment if no one has mentioned that thing though.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbrie View Post
Wow, I have to be honest, I think I'm one of the lazy ones...LOL. I used to keep up on my comments, I love checking out galleries, and especially the galleries of those who leave comments for me. This past month has been so hectic, I've not commented near as much as I like to.

I've marked quite a few as faves!! And sad to say, I don't think I've commented on even close to all of them. When I first started out, marking faves was a cool way for me to see different styles I was really digging, and some styles I didn't think I could ever learn, so it was nice to have them to look back on. A few times I even used it as a way to bookmard a few kits I saw that I wanted. LOL, back when I was super new, it never occured to me to comment at first!! Can people tell here when we mark one of their layouts as a fave? That would be a super lift, I'm sure!
I hate realizing that I don't comment as much as I wish I was. I know what a lift that gives me to see that someone liked my lo as much as I did!!!
This happens to me sometimes- but I almost always try to comment.

But think of it this way- if they've added it to their faves, it MUST be awesome, right?

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm guilty of doing that, although I try hard not too. I notice a lot of my layouts get added to favs and then not posted on but I love that I can see someone added it to there favs way better than a post because they loved it so much they wanted to see it again!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i'm with you col. i think more people should comment and leave heartfelt messages, not just 'great lo', 'cute lo' and 'really nice'. ya know? if you love a lo say why you love it in a few kind words...am i off base for feeling like more people should comment heartfelt messages? and more often? and let people know when you add them to faves for sure...i'm gonna be sure to do this from now on.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

my rule is 'if I took the time to look at the shot up close, then aI had better take the time to leave a comment'. But I know there are still peaope out there who still have slow internet or dial up service, and I know they say it takes way to long to leave a comment each time.

C

Old 07-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

I confess, I have done that before! I always try to go back and comment later if I don't right then.
What I don't like is when I get negative comments and haven't asked for them. Stuff like "that color is way too bright, this is just too busy...etc"
I got one recently that said something like cute photo, you might want to try this in black and white too- that's perfectly fine. I appreciate that sort of thing and it gives me ideas. But the other negative type ones- just keep your mouth shut unless the person has asked for constructive criticism, KWIM?
That's never happened here but I have gotten a few of those elsewhere. Now I don't frequent the "elsewhere" place

For me personally, I don't care if I get comments or not. They're nice and it's so fun to see a sweet comment in your gallery. But I'm not gonna go complaining about not getting them ( I am NOT saying that you're complaining, you are coming at this from such a different and positive angle). I scrap for me and my family and if they like it that's really all that matters.

facebook

Last edited by AmyM; 07-09-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyM View Post
I confess, I have done that before! I always try to go back and comment later if I don't right then.
What I don't like is when I get negative comments and haven't asked for them. Stuff like "that color is way too bright, this is just too busy...etc"
I got one recently that said something like cute photo, you might want to try this in black and white too- that's perfectly fine. I appreciate that sort of thing and it gives me ideas. But the other negative type ones- just keep your mouth shut unless the person has asked for constructive criticism, KWIM?
That's never happened here but I have gotten a few of those elsewhere. Now I don't frequent the "elsewhere" place

For me personally, I don't care if I get comments or not. They're nice and it's so fun to see a sweet comment in your gallery. But I'm not gonna go complaining about not getting them ( I am NOT saying that you're complaining, you are coming at this from such a different and positive angle). I scrap for me and my family and if they like it that's really all that matters.
WOW People have seriously done that??? How rude!! I would be miffed, sorry sweety
Old 07-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Brooke W

If I go look at a layout, I leave a comment. Why look if I'm not going to say something,lol. I know that it brightens my day too if someone leaves me a little note and kind of saddens me to see so many views and they couldn't find something to say at all. One can always find one thing they like I'd think, at least I would like to think so. Everyone needs encouragement.
I can see where someone would forget to post a few words if they made a page a favorite, but probably it was just in haste and not not on purpose.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always try to leave a comment on anyones page I open up. I know how depressing it can be to see your LO has 150 something views and 5 people left a comment
Makes me feel like it must have just stunk!

And now having said that, I have also tried to let go of the comment thing. It makes my day when I recieve them because I put so much of myself and time into the LO but I had to really come back to the whole reason why I do it in the first place which is for the preserving of my memories for my children and family. I was finding myself being driven by comments and it feels great to be back on track!!

I do have to add in here that I am so thankful to all the wonderful people that have brightened my days with their wonderful words! There are a couple (you know who you are) that are so generous and faithful at spreading the love in the gallery and I for one am grateful to you for it!!!

Last edited by gracielou; 07-09-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Guilty.

I comment on lots of pages that don't necessarily end up in my favorites and I'm quite sure I've added some to my favs without leaving a comment. I tend to go to the gallery with a 'purpose'. Sometimes I go to leave a bunch of comments and other times I go to get inspiration for a layout I'm working on and sometimes I'm looking for layouts to feature on my blog. When I go for one reason, I don't usually stop and do any of the other things. Perhaps it isn't the best way to go about things, but it is the way I work best.

Can I just offer up a blanket apology in advance?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I added a bunch of older pages to my favs and didn't comment because the gallery sorts that way, and I didn't want to bump the older lo's up and bump a newer lo back, kwim? But other than that if it's a new one, and I'm adding it to my favs, I say so.

And yah, the views vs comments depresses me too. lol
Old 07-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think I've done this when I've discovered a new gallery that really inspires me. I usually will comment on just a couple of the layouts, indicating that I've added tons of their pages to my faves.

And then there was the time my keyboard stopped working. I couldn't get anything done, so I just visited the forums and galleries...my mouse still worked, so I could add stuff to my faves before I forgot.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'll third (or whatever) not having to click something to add a comment, or to add a reply in the forums for that matter. (If I'm clicking in the Quick Reply area it's because I want to comment! LOL)

I didn't realize that a notification went out when something was added as a favorite. That being said, I can't think of a time where I added a layout as a favorite and didn't leave a comment.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Speaking of views versus comments, another site I post at has removed the views because it is often inaccurate. For example, one person viewing it might count as 2-4 ... so that would contribute to the depression of not getting comments. Now I always take that knowledge and apply it to other sites that have the views field ... and assume that the number of views is probably wrong!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I always try to comment if I've taken the time to view a LO. There have been a few times I've walked off and forgot, but not many. Also, I try to do a good job of making sure I return any praise that is given to me.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sometimes if I'm in a rush (like at work) and I'm scoping for a scraplift challenge, I save it in my favorites and plan on going back to comment later (and then sometimes forget to go back - oops). I also tend not to comment on really old ones (more than 5-6 months). A few times though, if I see a LO I really like but I see there's 20 or so comments already, I'll save it but I'm not going to comment what 10 or so people already said as I feel like it will lose its meaning - I'd rather give a comment on a LO that has little or no love that I like that will mean more to the person. I DO try to leave comments, though I'm not the best. I do have to say I never knew that there was a counter for anything but views and comments.
As for the views/comments ratio, I tend not to get depressed about it (if I did, I would never post at DST since I rarely get comments there) - my viewpoint is that if they looked at my LO, there must have been something that interested them. And sometimes, a person will look at a LO more than once (especially if scraplifting), but of course only comment once...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

SHOUT OUT TO PAULA!

While we're talking about comments, thank you so much Ms.Paula for leaving so many. I know you have brightened my day on quite a few occassions. You might not think that it means much but we just never know what is going on in someone's personal life and such a little thing like a comment can make a huge difference and lift you up. You never know how a few words can impact someone. I propose a non-alcoholic and caffeine free toast to our dear Paula for being the jibber jabber jaw breaker comment queen!

Another person who is always leaving kind comments is the one and only Zacola Ms.Shannon. Thanks to you too sweetie! There are so many people, but quite honestly you two stand out as making sure the pages are loved around here. I need to leave some comments very soon cause I'm feeling a litlte guilty for being a slacker on them lately.

facebook