Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default I don't think our child will ever have a name

I swear, I don't know that we'll settle on a name for this child before he/she is born. Forgive me while I talk in circles and ramble for a few minutes here. LOL

First, I don't have a HUGE problem with a name being super popular, but I really would prefer something that's not at the top of the 2010 baby name list, ya know? I just don't want my "__________" to be one of 5 "_________"s at preschool. I realize that problem isn't as common anymore as it was in the day of "Jennifer," but I'd still prefer something not super duper common. If we came up with a name that we loved that was near the top, I wouldn't rule it out, but I just want think about other possibilities before agreeing to the popular choice.

Tonight, we focused on talking about girl names. For boys, we keep coming back to Elijah. My problem with that is the popularity, but I love the name and would likely call him Eli. But I"m not even ready to commit to that just yet. I want to explore all our options.

And therein lies the problem... I'm too dang indecisive. Jeff will say, "Oh I like this," and I'll be like, "Eh, yeah it's ok. I'm not sure that I love it enough to commit to it though." With Kendra, it was easy because she was named after her grandparents. There was no discussing it once we thought of it. It was just HER name. I keep waiting for that "aha!" moment to hit this time, and it just hasn't.

My favorite girl names (as of tonight... this is subject to change tomorrow) are Chloe, Delaney, and Mallory. The only one of those that Jeff will even consider is Chloe (the other 2 are engine manufacturers or something? idk). But Chloe is in the top 10 popularity list, AND Mr Pritchett wants to spell it wrong (he wants it with a K.. either Kloe or Khloe). I say NO WAY. If we're going Chloe, we're going traditional spelling, and I'm not willing to budge on that. I'd rather give up the name than spell it weird.

He likes Karli. I don't care for it (it was one that fell in the "eh it's ok" category a few days ago, and today I'm dead set against it).

I love Paige but can't do it with Pritchett... it would drive me bonkers.

Tonight I went through the ENTIRE list of top 1000 girl names on the social security site, and I couldn't find anything that felt right.

I seriously don't know how we're going to reach an agreement in the next 22+ weeks.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

you'll get there! We chose names that aren't in the top 50 on purpose because of all that...

ewww on Khloe..all I can think of is the Kardashians
Old 09-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

That's what *I* said! No way, bucko.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had the hardest time with our second DD's name. I liked Molly until I looked up one of meanings of it and I didn't like that (it was something like angry sea or something, I can't even remember). But we couldn't find another name we liked so DH said that if I liked Molly that much, we should stick with it. But the middle name was the hardest, DH wanted Elizabeth and I flat out refused. We ended up with Marie because my mom suggested it while I was in labor! Yep came down to the last day but it is a name that fits her to a T.

I know you will find a name you both love, it will just happen.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Mallory I love her name because it's not too popular, but no one looks at me like I'm crazy for naming her that. lol I KNEW that was her name and stuck to my guns! DH came around in time. For our boys, it was much harder... thought we would never agree on anything! But, in the end, you have to! I've decided that as long as you don't hate the name initially, it will grow on you. Esp. once it's attached to a sweet, new baby.

Oh, and I agree... I like Chloe, but definitely not Khloe!

ETA - I like Paige as a middle name. A fellow co-worker (before I had kids) named her daughter Mallory Paige and I love it. Other than her, I have run into only two other Mallory's and my daughter is 3.

Last edited by farrijc; 09-04-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:58 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

you will get there!!!! but I am in total agreement on the normal spelling of any name...it just makes sense...if your kid gets older and wants to change their name to some odd spelling, then more power to them...I just think those weird spellings are hard on everybody...kids, parents, teachers, freinds, etc!

But I like Mallory

Last edited by nun69; 09-04-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We had the same problem when I was pregnant with our son. With our daughter, I had always had a girl name picked out. He really didn't have a say. He did pick the spelling though and so she will never find anything with her name spelled right for her. So, I told him he could pick out our son's name. He was nameless for a really long time. First he liked Lane...then it changed...then he kept saying that he wanted to name him Rowdy....ummmm....NO! Rowdy Randolph, I don't think so. Who would have thought that it would be so hard? Luckily, we both decided on Cole and it just fits him....even though we all pretty much call him Coley.

Luckily, you still have time. Maybe once you know what you are having it will make it easier....hopefully. LOL!

And...yeah...Khloe makes me think of the Kardashian's, too. Bleh!

Old 09-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm guessing finally agreeing on a name is just part of the journey A friend of mine shared that some doctors advise on having 2-3 names ready because sometimes you don't "feel" it's right for the baby until he/she is finally in your arms, something like that. At least that's how she experienced it as well. She had two names in mind, but once she had her son in her arms she knew exactly which name to give him

I hope you both reach a consensus soon!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Libby - if your labor is long and hard, you'll agree to anything. Ha! We hadn't decided on Grant's name, but it was on the list. I had such a horrible labor with him and ended up with a c-section 30 hours later that when he came out and the doctor asked his name, DH said "Uhhhh...Grant!" and I'm like "yeah, whatever" LOL

With the twins, DH chose Kent and then wanted to name the other Clark. Uh, no. Then we decided on Kurt and he wanted his middle name to be Russell. Uh, no. MEN!!! LOL

You'll get there!
Old 09-04-2011, 02:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe the popularity issue isn't so serious really? I know that in the US the tendency for uniqueness is high, but even so, it might happen that the name you choose, albeit popular, may not occur in his school etc.

I like Eli and Chloe. Never go for Kloe, in German "Klo" means TOILET. That should settle it. :-)

Old 09-04-2011, 05:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hehe, I've always loved Jennifer. Why was it such a Jennifer-boom in the States?

I like all the names you mentioned, Libby. And what I think is good is that you do use two names. We don't use a middle name here .
Old 09-04-2011, 05:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You'll get there Libby. When we found out we were having a baby after 13 years we revisted all the names we thought of 13 years before and decided they were all out the window - they just didn't fit anymore. We went back and forth for months - I liked Emma, he hated it. He loved Jordyn, I hated it. He liked Michael, I hated it (dated a Mike once who was a real jerk in the end - LOL - I still really dislike that name!) I liked Evan, he hated it. We also decided at the beginning that we wouldn't use ANY family names so no one would have hurt feelings.

You get the idea - LOL. DH was 1/2 Native American through his mother (Cheyenne Indian) and he came up with the name Cheyanne (we changed the 2nd E to an A to feminize it). I chose Rose for her middle name because I wanted something old-fashioned to go with Cheyanne and I loved how they went together. She was born in San Diego and we knew no one with that name. We moved back to North Carolina before she was a year old and no one there had that name either. Of course, we are in Maine now, and I kid you not, there are FOUR Cheyanne/Cheyenne's in the 6th grade alone!!! So you just never know - LOL.

My sister and her DH had their daughter's name all picked out months before but when she was born they changed their mind after seeing her - they waited THREE days before they named her - she was home for 36 hours before they finally decided on Lorelai Helen (Helen is our grandmother).
Old 09-04-2011, 06:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If it helps, my brother was "baby boy" for a full month because my parents couldn't agree on a name! Dad wanted to name him Gwayne and my mother (thankfully!) put her foot down!!

I wish I'd have thought to use a shorter name - my DD is named Madeleine and while I love her name, it takes *forever* to spell out in scrapbook alphas, LOL!

We chose names we liked, googled them to make sure there were no unsavoury characters with the same name, checked the acronym to make sure it didn't spell something ba, and then repeated the name with "The Right Honourable ..." - figuring that if it sounded good enough to be Prime Minister, it would be generally acceptable in the world of business, etc.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
With the twins, DH chose Kent and then wanted to name the other Clark. Uh, no. Then we decided on Kurt and he wanted his middle name to be Russell. Uh, no. MEN!!! LOL

You'll get there!
OMG it's really a guy thing! One time the hubs commented if we ever have fraternal twins to name them Anthony and Ginevra (after Ginny Weasley from the HP books). Why?? Because he wants to nickname them "Gin & Tonic."

*facepalm*
Old 09-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OMG - "Gin and Tonic" just made the water I was drinking shower my computer screen!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If it's any help, we actually changed our girls' names after they were born. We had named both girls prior to their arrival, and then once they were in our arms, we decided on something completely different.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

With all of our three kids, we didn't have a name for them prior to their birth. We just could never agree on names, and it seemed easier once they were born and we saw them.

Oh, and we never even started talking about names prior to finding out the gender. That way, we only had to do half the work!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

We struggled with names, but finally had that aha! moment...and you have plenty of time to have one too, especially after you find out the gender. And BTW, I love the name Delaney.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

It will come to you. We went through the same thing. J would suggest something I hated, then I would suggest something he hated. We finally came up with a list and then narrowed it down...only because I threatened to take his life if we didn't decide on something.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

We had issues with girls' names, too. Fortunately Luke wasn't a girl. And there was only ONE name we agreed on.

Be grateful you aren't a TEACHER! That wipes out a good 20 names a year! LOL That said, I've never had an Elijah or a Chloe (and ew, NOT Khloe!) in my class in 13 years. This year I have a Carleigh and there are two next door (Karli & Carly). Just sayin'. I loooooove Delaney!

It'll come to you... once you see her/him it might help too. (I almost just said "her" and not "him," too. Hmmm... )
Old 09-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

My youngest son was named 2 days after he was born because we couldn't agree on a name & then nothing seemed to 'fit'. He was going to be Dirk, Owen, Seth, David and Duncan in those 48 hours and then the lady from Social Security came in with the forms and asked us what his name was and we said something else entirely. But it fits him.

Neither of my kids' names makes the top 500 list and yet there is another kid in school with the same name as my youngest. There are also 5 Owens and 9 Emilys (all spelled differently) in his grade (about 100 kids)
Old 09-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have an Elijah that we call Eli and my daughter's middle name is Chloe. They're great names.

Have you considered Chloe Paige Pritchett? It has a gorgeous sound to it. I work with a Karlee. Karlee Nicole.

You'll find a name, I promise!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Naming my boys was so fun!

With Zak I was a single mom and I totally had a different name picked out for him until I looked at his face, then I knew that he was not a "Houlden" and quickly became a Zachary-which wasn't even on my list at all.

Connor was really easy-my 1st husband and myself quickly agreed and he was Connor from about 12 weeks.

Landen was a different breed altogether...Scott and I COULD NOT AGREE...He wanted him to be Samuel and I just couldn't imagine looking at my little one and calling him Sam...seemed like a dog name to me for some reason...we went back and forth and back and forth...I'm not sure how we ended up picking Landen but it fits him perfectly.

Good luck Libby & Jeff!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I was pregnant earlier this year I was stuck on two names, Olivia and Sophie. I love love love Sophie and the slight old fashioned sound to it. Good luck, you will all of a sudden know it when it hits ya!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

like everyone else has said, you'll get there! seeing your beautiful babies face....something will just hit you.

and on the topic of 'popular' names....i was petrified poor emma would be one of a million when in reality, there's only 3 in her whole school. Madelyn (the one i thought was more unique) has 5 in the classes above and under hers :/

Old 09-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Smile

You still have plenty of time to get a name! We had been dead set on the name Josh for our youngest and then, like 3 weeks before he was born, we heard the name Carson and totally agreed on it and that was his name! Things can change, I wouldn't worry about committing to a name just yet.

AND, it will be easier, I think, when you can know the sex of the baby. If you're having a boy, then your stresses may be gone, lol! BTW, I ::love:: Eli. Have you ever read the book called, "You Are Special"? It is the sweetest children's book, you should go snag it at the library and read it, and it has significance for the name Eli. I have always thought that is such a great name, and def no way anyone is going to wonder if it's a boy or a girl.

I have to laugh, we were dead set on making sure none of our boy names could ever be confused with a girl... and now, that's pretty much shot all to heck...our names are: Taylor, Sam, Carson. I've heard of girls for ALL of them! Too funny! Oh well, everyone seems to know they are boys and I still love our names!

You guys will have a name that works, it's just too early, IMO. Hang in there!

Public Relations for www.digitalscrapper.com
(Photoshop & PSE digital scrapbook training)
Old 09-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclelady View Post
If it helps, my brother was "baby boy" for a full month because my parents couldn't agree on a name! Dad wanted to name him Gwayne and my mother (thankfully!) put her foot down!!
HAHA! that's funny. (:

i agree on the khloe thing. -shudders- i'm always iffy on spelling things different. my brother is geoffrey, and nobody ever spelled it correctly. so i always get iffy with odd spellings. and then, you have the kardashian reference. and ew.

i like the normal spelling of chloe, though (: it's pretty and simple.

i do, however, love elijah. it's on my name list for when i have munchkins of my own. someday. and karli is okay. not my favorite. but it's still pretty!

just don't name it ashley. there's too many of us in the world already,

Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh Libby.....you will get there. Hubby and I argued over DS name up until the day he got here. I wanted Landon and he wanted Christian. We all know who won that battle. LOL I can't imagine any other name for him.

When we were picking out names.....I was the same way. I didn't want a popular name at all. I seriously asked family about names from several generations back and started digging through all my favorite books for names. AND I will admit......I looked at the Pottery Barn kids catalogs on their monogrammed items to see if there was a good name! LOL I still have my list of names written down so if you want me to send them your way I can.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

With my last I knew I wanted Tyler as the middle name. I just was not sure what his first name should be. I loved Nathaniel but was the only one who did. It came down to the last day when he was already here and I came up with Nickolas Tyler (spelled with a ck instead of ch because I knew I would probably call him Nick). Now I dont think I could call him anything else.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
you'll get there! We chose names that aren't in the top 50 on purpose because of all that...

ewww on Khloe..all I can think of is the Kardashians
Exactly what I thought with the K but doesn't cross my mind with the C.

I say narrow it down to a few and see exactly what that baby looks like. HOPEFULLY that babe with fit a name!! Wish there was a smilie with fingers crossed!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

With Oliver, we had three names a month before he was born: Bryant, Conner, and Elliott

Camilla was never even on any list we ever made. The only name that we kept coming back to was Amelia Grace, but even then we weren't sure. After she was born she just wasn't an Amelia. DH was thinking maybe Catherine, but I didn't like that. So then we were jokingly putting them together and came up with Camille or Camilla. What settled it was how we just couldn't stop saying how perfect she is, and the names both mean perfect, just with French or Italian roots. We went with Italian because my MIL is half Italian. We also say it with more of an Italian pronunciation, but try not to be too picky because so many people say it the American way.

Just trying to give you hope! I understand how anecdotes don't do much for the pregnancy hormones, but hopefully it helps.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I love the name Sophie for a girl, but it's really popular now too. I think it helps to name them after someone you know/admire that they can look up to. I LOVE Elijah, btw!

Old 09-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know the feeling. We couldn't settle on a middle name for Brianna (which was the #1 name when she was born ... we had no idea ...grrrr). The nurse asked us after we had her what the middle name was. Jim and I looked at each other ... ummmm, "Rae?" and that was that!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My Nicholas wasn't named until after he was born. We honestly planned it that way and I am so happy we did. He ended up with a name that fit him perfectly because I was able to look into his face and name him. You'll come up with something. I have a niece named Chloe (and, yes, do not spell the name messed up) and I love Elijah.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

hee hee... sounds like we have all been there.... and you know, I have a Jacob - super popular name... but in everything I have but in him since he was born - we haven't come across one Jacob. I'm sure school will be different... but if we do public school - he will be in a smaller charter school with less kids.

Oh - and my two cents on traditional spellings... it makes it easier to find monogrammed items... and people have a better chance of spelling it right. Of course, being named Rebecca - I've seen way too many variations on how it can be spelled...

Good luck!

Last edited by MamaBee; 09-04-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love the name Delaney! One of my photographer friends just had a baby a few months ago and she named her Delaney and she's absolutely adorable!

It seems a lot of us are partial to K names in my family...my kids are Kaylie, Kelsie & Kyle, my stepbrother's twins are Katelynn & Kirsten and my brother's little boy is Kael & his baby girl due in October is going to be Kinley I think.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE the name Delaney!! When we found out we were having twins, I knew right away if one was a girl, she'd be my Chloe Faith. When we found out I was having 2 girls, I wanted Chloe and Madaline, but dh put his foot down with Madaline. My second choice was Caidence, but he didn't like that either. I told him if he didn't pick a name(since I picked Chloe's name) by the time she was born, she'd be Caidence Grace. I had actually called people after giving birth and told them her name was Caidence, but when it came time to fill out birth certs, dh said she'd be Caitlyn Rae.

I like names like Hannah, Emma/Emily, Olivia, Sophie. But Delaney is so pretty and original, I really love it.

It'll come to you!! Don't stress so much about it
Old 09-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

LOL Brie! It's so funny that you put Faith with Chloe because that's our frontunner right now! Chloe Faith Pritchett. Great minds!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think chloe faith pritchett is SO sweet!

I had my first boys name picked out before I was even pregnant - we didn't find out his gender though and never did agree on a girl name, so thank goodness he was a boy. But boy #2 proved more of a challenge - I literally thought we would NEVER agree on a name. We decided the night before my c-section on Matthew Robert and it totally fits. I only wish we could have picked it a little sooner, would have saved me a little stress!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 09-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

From day 1 ... my oldest if it was going to be a boy was going to be Anthony Sean ... I had picked that name out in high school ... didn't like the boy but loved the name ... so for umpteen years that was going to be his name. Well married Steve and he INSISTED (not budging) that our child's name was going to start with S ... his mother did a naming game of all the girls starting with J so he liked that.

So we reversed the name to Sean Anthony. Can't even remember what the girl name was. Anyway the BOY was born ... we both looked at him and said "he doesn't LOOK like a Sean!!!" ... there we were ... no alternates ... no idea ...

Sister ran to my house and got the stuff from my baby shower ... in there were name suggestions from the party guests that I hadn't even hardly glanced at because I knew what we were naming the child. Plus a baby names book.

On the day my son was 5 days old, he was still unnamed. My fil called me at the hospital and said NAME MY GRANDSON!!! LOL dh was still insistent (not budging at all) on an S name for the boy ... there were not a lot of boy names that started with S that sounded good with our last name.

Finally we picked Scott from the party guests ... turns out my sister had suggested it. :-)

...so in conclusion ... get some names handy ... but the baby might just not look like you would think he/she should look for the name ... or the name may just come to you when you see the child! ;-)

Hmmm ... I think I should scrap this story!! I hadn't thought of that before!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had the same problem with Lilly. We just could not agree on a name. Dh finally suggested Lilly when I was 37 weeks pregnant and I liked it but I knew I wanted her name to be different so we went with 2 l's in the middle and not 1. We loved it. Then it took us the next three weeks to come up with Sophia for her middle name.