Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Acne Antibiotics

Have you guys tried anything orally?

I went to my dr today because i'm SOOO tired of all of this.. anyways she prescribed me something but now i'm nervous to try it! I read the reviews at acne.org and they are not exactly awesome.

http://www.acne.org/minocycline-anti.../27/page1.html

What would you do?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've taken antibiotics for acne and had good (but not lasting) results. I think it's worth a try. Everyone has different reactions to medication.

I took a couple rounds of Acutne, and it;s made a huge difference for my skin.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest son did the full round of Accutane a few years ago - did wonders for him.

My 2nd son (17) is on Minocycline and it works well for him and he has no side effects. I think he's been on it over a year. If he stops it for a few days, his acne comes back, but he's pretty clear when he is on it.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I haven't used minocycline, but a couple of months ago I started using the Proactive Facial care system, and I have noticed a dramatic improvement in my skin. Hardly any breakouts at all now.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have in the past, but never saw enough results to continue with it. I am due for a new appointment though and need something different, I think.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've tried tetracycline. I was on a 4 month program. It totally cleared up my face but after I stopped using it, it came back. I did a second round and my face cleared up this winter. I wonder what it's going to do when it heats up - this is when I get it the worst. She just prescribed Doxycycline (I haven't tried it yet) since there is a tetracycline shortage! Good luck
Old 05-29-2012, 01:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I took Roaccutane (this might be the same as Accutane over there) for almost a year. I helped a lot but now, 10 years later, the acne is back. I also didn't like the side-effects: very dry lips and eyes and it was forbidden to sit in the sun. You also can not get pregnant while taking it until a year after you've quit. But I was happy with the results, for as long as it lasted.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

After reading a recommendation here, I've been cleaning my face using the OCM (oil cleansing method) and haven't had a breakout. If I skip a couple of days, I may get the start of a blemish, but it goes away as soon as I cleanse again. My 13-year old son cleanses that way occasionally and every time it has dramatically reduced his breakout with just one cleansing. I'm convinced that he'd have clear skin if he'd use it every day.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My daughter hasn't tried the antibiotic route but my son did - worked while he was on it but then when he was off it came back. His doctor finally tried a Retin-A cream and it was great.

Cheyanne is now on same Retin-A cream and it works great. She tried the OCM and it didn't do a thing for her (even after trying several different combinations). I always wondered if Proactive really worked as well as they claimed.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I did quite some time ago, so I don't remember what it was but the first kind i tries tore up my stomach I thought I was getting an ulcer or something. The second kind I tried worked much better! I've broken out randomly in the years since I stopped, but it's never been as bad as it was before I took anything! (I think it was Doxycycline & Tetracycline, but not sure which was which!)
Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

hmmm, I'm gonna check into all the meds and link mentioned...plus check what I was prescribed a couple years ago...I had to get off, apparently I'm allergic to that....I had horrible reactions...thick, raised welts all over my legs and arms.

so good luck to ya!
fingers crossed it all works and clears up

Old 05-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In my mid to late 20s I took an antibiotic for acne. I do not remember what it was. For me, it was totally worth it to take an antibiotic if that meant that my skin was clear. I took it for a year or so and then when I moved I couldn't find a dermatologist that I liked, but my skin finally cleared up and I didn't need it anymore. The only issues I had were that it could give me yeast infections, but the dermatologist gave me a pill to take with the antibiotic that kept me from getting the yeast infections.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
After reading a recommendation here, I've been cleaning my face using the OCM (oil cleansing method) and haven't had a breakout. If I skip a couple of days, I may get the start of a blemish, but it goes away as soon as I cleanse again. My 13-year old son cleanses that way occasionally and every time it has dramatically reduced his breakout with just one cleansing. I'm convinced that he'd have clear skin if he'd use it every day.
I was going to suggest this! I haven't tried it personally but I've heard great things about it. I get a few little spots on my chin below my mouth during that time of the month but otherwise no breakouts so I don't worry about it so much.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ever since I stopped taking BC, my skin is constantly broken out. My Dr. prescribed Duac Gel. It's a topical antibiotic that seems to work pretty well. The only downside I've found is that it dries my skin out, but I guess that's fairly normal.