Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2012, 01:03 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

well my engagement ring is no longer in my posession. My husband and I were young when we got married and he bought me a 1/4 carat marquis cut engagement ring. It was small but absolutely beautiful. We wanted to do things on our own and not acept help from the state (food stamps, wic, medicaid etc) so I sold my engagement ring to pay some bills and buy food. A year or so ago my husband took me to buy a wedding band. I picked out a white gold ring. It is pretty but a little plain. If I get another engagement ring I do not want a diamond. I would rather go with a fire opal or sapphire or even ruby. Dont particularly like diamonds. I do not wear my wedding ring all the time because I feel like it makes my fingers look fat. Despite the fact I am really that large (5 ft 5 and weigh about 175-180) my fingers are pretty big so far as rings go so it is difficult to find rings that will fit my fingers. I am kinda self conscious about the size of my hands/fingers so that is why I have never went back to try to fit for a new engagement ring. Anyhow I get a picture of my wedding ring tomorrow. I used to wear jewelry all the time. The only thing I wear consistently now is a fossil watch which I love very much. I need a new one which I might ask my hubby to take me to look at at the fossil outlet. I also occasionally wear beachy type jewelry and bracelets and I have a few I wear which I bought from mudlove.com which donates 5 dollars I think from every purchase to bring drinking water to people in Africa. They are clay stones with words like faith, peace, courage etc on elastic bands. I had four. Gave one to my daughter. I alternate them now. My favorite is the aqua one the clay charm says courage I think. Or hope. Im not sure...a little more then you asked LOL. Anyhow yours is gorgeous as is everyone elses.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:38 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am not even married for a year (sept) but I can't wear mine anymore due to my pregnancy and thick fingers, LOL! I can't wait to wear it again.

Ours are white and red gold and mine has a little stone.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well... I have a small solitaire engagement ring. We bought a wrap for it as a wedding band. The wrap never fit especially well (another we were poor story!) but we only paid $30 for it at a pawn shop. It worked for a while but part of it bent and broke off. I still have the pieces but never have gotten it fixed. Its kinda small for me right now anyway. The solitaire I wore from our wedding in '98 until my daughter came along in '02. In the middle of the night I scratched her with it when she was an infant. I went to lift my shirt to nurse her and got her right across the cheek. I took it off and haven't worn it since. DH hasn't worn a wedding band for the last 10 years either. His band split down the middle at work one night. He's lucky it didn't cut his finger the way it split. We haven't bothered to get his fixed either. He works around machinery and we both just feel more comfortable with him not wearing one. He isn't the type to remember to take it off for work and wear it the rest of the time.

So, neither of us wear rings. I have a couple of rings that he has bought me over the years and I wear one of them now and again. For quite a while I wore my grandma's anniversary band (that I bought for her through QVC and she gave back to me before she passed away) on that finger. Really though, I know I'm married so it doesn't matter to me if anyone else does or not. Every once in a while I think about how I miss seeing DH's on him because it looked nice on him but I'm more concerned about safety than looks.

Every once in a while we look at sets and talk about getting me a new one but in the end, I'd rather have a new camera or some other gadget than a ring.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Here's mine. This is not my original set.. this was my 5 yr anniversary upgrade. I keep meaning to have them soldered together but I've never done it.

Ignore the manicure. Although it is hybrid. One of Kristin's papers, I think.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Beautiful rings ladies! I love all the unique stories.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallMoments View Post

My wedding band looks a lot like this, although I haven't been able to wear it lately because when I do, my ring finger starts breaking out inexplicably after a few days.

My original band and engagement ring are really not my style, so I don't wear them. Like many of you (BTW, who knew there were so many of us with similar stories?!), DH and I were super young and super poor when we got married, so my set was totally basic and non-flashy. Plus, it's yellow gold, which I'm not a huge fan of anymore.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love seeing everyone's rings! <3

Here's mine:

I still adore my engagement ring - dh and I looked at rings together so he could get an idea what I liked and then he bought it later to surprise me. I loved the diamond so much that I wanted simple bands to go with it, so I have the two plain gold bands that are my wedding band and 1st anniversary band. Those three are soldered together. He got me the diamond band around our 10th anniversary when I wanted my set to be a little bling-ier. I've never had it put together with my other ring because I like wearing it alone when I don't want to wear my big ring. I'm hoping that someday we can afford to buy two new diamond bands and have my original ring reworked but that is still several years down the road I'm sure. LOL
Old 06-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Aw this thread is fun...this is what my rings looked like 10 1/2 years ago when we got married...

the night he proposed to me I joked with him that at our 10 year anniversary I expected another half carat on either side and he remembered and totally did it! This is my engagement ring upgrade

Old 06-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sadly this is not my original set either. My original one was 1/2 carat solitaire with a plain gold band on either side. Like every one else, times got rough and we sold it (read, he pawned it and never went back to get it the jerk so he knew he was in deeeeeep water) so on my 10th I got this. The diamond band is a past/present/future, the bottom is my 5th year anniversary band and the top one is actually my husband's wedding ring. He can't wear it due to his job. He wore it on his key chain for a long time before I realized it was getting beat up and he never wore it on his finger. This way SOMEONE gets to wear it lol and if we are out to eat or out where I want him to have it, I can just slip it on his hand.

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley

Last edited by Amy Carey; 06-21-2012 at 07:02 PM.