Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Question EHD vs. Saving to DVD

I am seriously considering - no - make that - GETTING - an EHD. I want to be able to keep all my scrap pages ( and other files) on it - in JPEG format. I print coffee table books every year of all pages - but still want the JPEGS. Does anyone else do this - as opposed to burning DVD's - I hate hate hate saving to DVD....

Suggestions, opinions - let me hear them!!

Holly
Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do both Holly. You should not rely solely on an EHD because they will eventually fail the same way your regular HD will. I transfer files to my EHD and DVD at the same time and just let the transfers run in the background while I do other stuff. I know a lot of people use online back up systems. That is an option too.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Sheri - this is info I need to know. I've ignored the whole EHD and backing up long enough.....

Also - am I correct in assuming USB is more for back-up and not long term storage as well. I'm really trying to get out of burning DVD's here....
PictureKeeper.com has a USB specifically for storing JPEG files/photos - looks interesting...

Holly
Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think there's any perfect backup method. DVDs degrade over time, EHDs crash, and online backup can get expensive if you need to retrieve a large amount of data. So while any backup is good, I think a combination is best. If you hate burning DVDs you don't have to! I have both an online backup and an EHD backup, and they back everything up. Years ago I started burning only my photos to DVD (well, CD back then) before I had any other backup method available. Everytime I go to burn one, I tell myself I really don't need to and I should stop. But for some reason, I keep burning the silly things. I've got photo DVDs going back 10 years already and I guess I feel like I should keep it going. One of these days I'll stop...
Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i do both, i've had EHD for 6 yrs now, have all of my scraps and photos on there then i back up on DVD once a yr, better safe to have doubles triples etc than lost forever.
(just read your second post) right, USB drive don't hold much in my opinion, plus what if you lose the USB drive? i say go for it and invest in a EHD

Last edited by Chels85; 01-01-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I back up my photos and layouts on my Flickr Pro account and have two EHDs for my photos, layouts, and supplies. I also keep smaller EHDs for back ups at my mom's and MIL's houses.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I no longer use DVDs for backup. I think the technology is outdated and I've had too many DVDs from previous backup attempts turn out corrupt. I lost an entire year of pictures of my daughter that way. She was 2 and I can still see those pictures in my head. I miss them! Since then I have refused to use DVDs.

I back up to an EHD (or two if it is something REALLY important). I also back up to 2 different online backup services. I am using backblaze and crashplan right now.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I no longer use DVDs for backup. I think the technology is outdated and I've had too many DVDs from previous backup attempts turn out corrupt. I lost an entire year of pictures of my daughter that way. She was 2 and I can still see those pictures in my head. I miss them! Since then I have refused to use DVDs.

I back up to an EHD (or two if it is something REALLY important). I also back up to 2 different online backup services. I am using backblaze and crashplan right now.
This is my exact fear Sherri! I have also lost a Cd - as this was years ago - full of pic's... and I too can remember some of them - and could cry when I think of them....
I am leaning towards EHD and online back-up - no more DVD's!

Thanks all for your in-put!
Holly
Old 01-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have triple EHD backups- one that runs very infrequently, one that runs daily, and one that I do monthly. I am OCD about it. my husband mocks me because I seriously keep one of the EHD's with all our photos on it in my purse with me any time we leave the house