Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default I am so frickin' mad...

...gah. We've been struggling quite a bit financially since Tyrel's surgery and hospitalization. Today we got a bill from the hospital and Tyrel called them because we already paid that one off a few weeks ago. The woman pulls up his account and sees that he has, in fact, paid it... but then she tells him that he has an outstanding bill from TWO YEARS AGO. He's like, WHAT?! And she tells him that since it wasn't paid, he was sent to collections. Well, I can tell you, we NEVER, EVER got that bill. We did receive a bill from University Physicians (the doctors and hospital bill separately, apparently) and we got on a payment plan and PAID IT OFF. But I never ONCE saw a bill from the hospital or any letters. Now this is on Tyrel's credit. I am PISSED. This was not our fault. We would have paid it if we'd KNOWN ABOUT IT. Is there any way to contest something like this? Tyrel doesn't really have anything on his credit report to begin with and this could have a big impact.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would definitely fight the hospital about this... and write the 3 credit agencies. It seems like doctors/hospitals are notorious for this... it happened to us too. We were able to catch it before it actually went to collections and I raised a stink and got the late fees taken off as well.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, I had something similar happen with student loans. Still haven't figured out how to fix it. I paid off everything that did not come from my main bank loans right after I graduated, then years later I come to find out there is something that I never knew about that is affecting my credit. Nice, isn't it? I mean, why would I pay off 1 $600 loan, make payments all the time on the really large loan, but the $300 one I just ignore, right?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

This happened to me before too, when I had JJ, they said that I hadn't paid some part of my bill with Abby. I fought them on it and they took the late fees off and we got it taken care of but it took a while.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Ugh, I had something similar happen with student loans. Still haven't figured out how to fix it. I paid off everything that did not come from my main bank loans right after I graduated, then years later I come to find out there is something that I never knew about that is affecting my credit. Nice, isn't it? I mean, why would I pay off 1 $600 loan, make payments all the time on the really large loan, but the $300 one I just ignore, right?
Oh I so know what you mean Mari. The one they said I hadn't paid with Abby was like for $89 or something.. I"m like.. yes, I pay my ob, I pay you people like $800 or something but I ignore an $89 bill.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, what's ridiculous is that this is a measly $100 bill and the bill we paid off for the doctor was over $1,300.... trust me, if I wanted to ignore one, it would've been the massive bill. Problem is, we can't pay this off. Tyrel tried to over the phone, but since it's been sent to collections, she couldn't take his payment.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie

Yuck! Hope you get it sorted out.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I would be so mad, Megan! I know there are ways to contest things on your credit report. I would definitely contact the 3 credit agencies and ask what your options are. So sorry!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

First off, I'm sorry! I hate dealing with hospital bills! I joke that I am still paying off my first son who was born in 2006... he should be paid off by the time this next one is born. Any way... I have always heard that if you are sent to collections DO NOT pay the collection agency... pay whoever sent you the bill. I read above that they wont accept it because it's in collections but I'd keep trying. Sometimes just speaking to a different customer service rep. helps. This has happened to me. One person said they wouldn't accept my payment so I called back and spoke to someone else, and they took the payment.

I hope you get it all figured out!! So sorry
Old 01-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

we had the same thing a year or so ago. it was a bill from 7 years ago when lukas was born!!! WHAT!?!?!?!?? i called the collection people and told them..."listen...i will pay this in full now, i had NO knowledge of this prior and you will get this taken off my credit. i'm also gonna need a letter stating this was done".

guess what...they did just that.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We just got a bill from Qwest for our phone that we had in Wyoming EIGHT years ago. We were both like WTH?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I had a large hospital bill years ago..and as long as you set up payments on it they can't put it on your credit...I think there's some law about hospital/medical bills..not sure what it is lol but an attorney I had at the time told me as long as I was making payments they could not put it on my credit. I'll call the collection agency and set up a plan

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 01-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I got ya beat Paula! I just got a bill from a collections for a credit card I had in..get this 1995!! My first year of college! Wanna hear the best part? The bill was for $9!!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 01-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think that with the crappy economy, companies are just trying to find $$ wherever they can now. Odds and ends balances that were probably previously "written off" are being dusted off and pursued with a vengeance.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I wish I could go after the cell phone company that owes me $9 plus some odd change for overcharging me ... they claimed they sent it to me, but it is B.S. because I never got anything. Wouldn't it be nice if we could go after them in reverse??

As for your bill, I'm very sorry. I hope that nothing like that ever sneaks up on us! *nervously looking over shoulders at imaginary creditors*

And good luck with the arrangements, and I'm so sorry about the bills.

Melinda
Old 01-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies! Sounds like this is (oddly) rather common...

Old 01-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am so angry for you...this happened to me over $3.00!!! Yes, they sent a bill for $3.00 to collections. A left over balance or something after we had Natalie. Absurd doesn't even begin to describe hospital billing sometimes. I even got billed for an ultra-sound a year after I had Natalie. Which made me so made because if they had billed earlier our deductable had been met and it would have been covered.