Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default Diaper Pails?

So I'm about to have boy #3 and have never used a 'diaper pail' before, but with the 2 1/2 year old still in diapers (hopefully not for much longer) I am so tired of the smell. I want to know if any of these special trash cans really work?

If anyone has any input on 'the best one' - which also includes low maintenance and additional costs - I would love to know. I can't tell from reading the reviews who likes which one or which one to choose (kinda sounded like Dr. Seuss there for a second!).
Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We had a diaper genie with DS and I threw it out after about a month...too expensive for the refills and the smell wasn't any better. What I did after that and with DD is buy some of the cheap plastic baggies at the dollar store..the quart size and seal dirty diapers up in them and then toss them in the trash. It really helps minimize the smell.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We used the diaper champ & really did not have any isses. I will say though - start saving plasic bags from the stores - they fit in the diaper champ.

link: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3491391
Old 01-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

We used a diaper genie with DD 1. With DD 2 we just used ziploc baggies to seal the diapers in and just put them in the garbage. The smell is about the same and I don't have that bulky thing in her room.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
We had a diaper genie with DS and I threw it out after about a month...too expensive for the refills and the smell wasn't any better. What I did after that and with DD is buy some of the cheap plastic baggies at the dollar store..the quart size and seal dirty diapers up in them and then toss them in the trash. It really helps minimize the smell.
With two in diapers this is what I do too!! I buy the ones labels "freezer" and with the double zippers and they keep the smell in great!! Although I don't use them for my newest since he is BF and his poop really doesn't stick. They do however keep in even the smell of the raunchiest of poop from my 2 year old....and man are they bad....I often question if he has gotten in the garbage and foraged for food

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I wanted to add that the key to keeping the smell at bay in our house too is taking the garbage out every night. For us it's not hard to do that with 7 people in the house we fill a garbage bag a day. If you don't you might want to collect yours in a walmart bag everyday and then take that out the "big garbage can" every night.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ok, this is kind of a weird answer. When my sister had kids in diapers and they lived in a small house they just put the diaper pail outside the back door (most people except maybe us family used the front door so it wasn't really an issue). Then after each changing they just threw it out in the pail outside the back door. Don't know if this is a possibility for you but it did take care of keeping the smell out of the house.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
Yep! Save your money! And good luck with 2.5 boy....mine is still not! Grrrrrrr! But really those diaper things are just a waste of money and space. We bought a regular (step on open) type trash can and bagged the individual diapers as well. And yeah...emptying it helps too LOL!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I wanted to add another tip my Mom taught me..once they start having a formed poop..and it totally makes sense lol...I just take it in the bathroom and flush the poop! lol...DD's is so formed now that when I flush it there's hardly anything left in the diaper to smell. My mom said this is what she had to do back in the day before there was such a thing as disposable diapers. Now that doesn't help with her 10 lb morning tee-tee diaper but the ziplock bags work great at keeping that smell contained

Old 01-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We do what Nikki does and flush the poop down the toilet... although, I use cloth diapers now... but when Moriah was little we used sposies and had a Diaper Champ and had to toss it because of the smell... it didn't matter how often we tossed everything it still smelled even after bleaching and even when it was empty, BLECK! Anyways, I then just used a really small bathroom sized trash can and only threw pee pee diapers in there and the poopy diapers went immediately to the big garbage can outside, and emptied the little trash can every night.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do what Nikki & Heather do - flush the poop down the toilet (when I can), immediately bag the dirty diaper in a grocery store bag, and immediately toss into the big garbage can outside. Regular pee diapers get put into a small garbage bin beside the change table and tossed out every night.

I've done this since the day she was born (just turned 2), and I've never had a smell in my house. And it saved a lot of money on the "special" diaper pail & thier expensive refills!

Huge fan of:

Old 01-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sczos911 View Post
We used the diaper champ & really did not have any isses. I will say though - start saving plasic bags from the stores - they fit in the diaper champ.

link: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3491391
ditto! we used the diaper champ 'til DS was like 3 and never had any issues with smell. seriously. it uses regular trash bags, plastic grocery bags...any bags really.

two of my close friends had the diaper genie though and hated it.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I heard so many bad things about those diaper pails, I stayed far away. I heard from lots of people that the smell was horrid when they had to be cleaned out. We just put them in a plastic bag and set it outside until we left to take it to the garbage.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:33 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have the Diaper Dekor Plus - smell has gone up as he has got older, and the bags became biodegradable, but is mitigated if you sprinkle some baking powder in the bag when you are changing it out. And ya, a full bag has to go to the outside bin ASAP.

All poop stinks. haha. So maybe it's just a question to ask yourself as to how much time/effort having the pail will save you, versus another method? We just don't have enough hands.

Love this pail, if simply for the foot pedal, ease of use when we had were using the changing table, and the bag sleeves are easy to understand.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all of the help! Sounds like I"ll probably be using the old standy - the small can with grocery sacks - although I'm sure I should try buying a new can since the plastic has absorbed the odor at this point. I do think the zippered bags are a great idea and might have to try that too.

Diaper champ sounds like a good one! Especially if it uses all the plastic grocery bags that DH complains about all the time since I tend to hoard them under the kitchen sink (in case of some emergency!)