Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm
Default OMG I'm at 30 weeks....Talk to me about cloth diapers!

Well we're finally here, the home stretch, the last 10 weeks....eeeeee! Here's an updated belly photo, woot!

Oh Joy, my face is getting that "last 10 weeks" chub and dark circles...I can't believe it's flown by so fast!

Anyway, I'm thinking about cloth diapering...does anyone have any experience in that? I'm debating between Fuzzibunz and BumGenious...does anyone have experience with either of these? I plastic-diapered Karsten and Josiah so I'm at a loss!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I LOVED FuzziBunz. They were our workhorse diapers- I sent them to daycare, church nursery, and put him in them at night with a double insert and never had a leak. I used cute ones at home & on weekends... embroidered booties and all.

That said, BumGenius weren't around when I had Luke... and I've heard really good things about them.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No experience with cloth diapers here, but you are adorable!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I use Fuzzi Bunz with my little two and love them. I've used BumGenious AIO but not the pockets. I love pockets so much more because they dry so much faster than aios. I also like the sized versions better than the one size, even though it means having to buy different sizes. I found one size to be too bulky early on. We used small FB from about 1 month - 6/7 months. And I have been using mediums from then on. I still use mediums on my 28 month old and think he could easily stay in mediums until he is potty trained. For the first month I just used disposables until they fit into smalls. I couldn't justify buying a stash of x-small diapers for just a couple weeks.

Traci - If you have any specific questions about them, totally ask. I LOVE cloth diapers and would love to talk about them.

Here they are in their FB:

Last edited by ChristyHC; 11-13-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyHC View Post
I use Fuzzi Bunz with my little two and love them. I've used BumGenious AIO but not the pockets. I love pockets so much more because they dry so much faster than aios. I also like the sized versions better than the one size, even though it means having to buy different sizes. I found one size to be too bulky early on. We used small FB from about 1 month - 6/7 months. And I have been using mediums from then on. I still use mediums on my 28 month old and think he could easily stay in mediums until he is potty trained. For the first month I just used disposables until they fit into smalls. I couldn't justify buying a stash of x-small diapers for just a couple weeks.

Traci - If you have any specific questions about them, totally ask. I LOVE cloth diapers and would love to talk about them.
Yep... Luke was in mediums until he was potty-trained too. And I agree with the pocket thing- they dry faster & you can stuff them according to need.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

And just so you can drool, these were some of my favorite embroidered/cute AIOs.

Fluffymail (They have GREAT nighttime fitteds, too!)

Zimsy Whimsy (Formerly Mudpie Babies)
Old 11-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

One word. Fuzzibunz.

With hemp liners. I loved mine with a white hot intensity. I know Tracy Stroud shares my love for them.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

We're thinking about these 1 size diapers : http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...oducts_id=2221

Are those the pocket ones? I'm totally clueless. Hold my hand.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We use Mommy's Touch and LOVE them, that was before they have the Fuzzibunz one size... I haven't tried the Fuzzibunz yet, but I love the snaps way more than the BumGenius velcro which I've had to replace on some of mine... I also second Hemp inserts or Bamboo.

For the first couple months we use prefolds with PUL diaper covers because I never felt like the one size got small enough. This time around I'm making wool longies instead of using the PUL covers because I just think they're so cute!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Hey Traci, we've used cloth for all of ours and will for this one too. I'm very familiar with lots of different kinds, and I'd be happy to answer any questions I can! Feel free to catch me on fb anytime.

We've found that pockets don't work so great with the itty bitties. I'll be using a combo of fitteds and plain old prefolds with covers the first few months, then gradually switching to pockets as he gets bigger.

My fav pockets are fuzzi bunz, bumgenius, and knicker nappies. The one-size ones are great, but not till they get to be at least 12 pounds or so in my experience. Before that, their thighs are a little too skinny and you get blowouts around the leg holes. We do have several one size bg's that we used with Kaitlyn and Noah and we'll still use with this one, so they're pretty economical.

Like I said, I'd love to answer any questions, so just let me know!

Old 11-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ooo yeah! Knickernappies too!

Yes, those FB are pockets. I've never tried their one-size b/c they came after Luke was potty trained. And I'll go ahead and third the hemp inserts. I loved Joey Bunz. I'd wrap one with a microfiber towel (found int he auto section at Walmart or Target) for daytime and I'd wrap two with a microfiber towel for nighttime.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Don't they come with inserts? Are they no good?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Traci - and if $$ is an issue for stock, you can get seconds on FB's website, as well as used ones on a billion different diaper boards/ebay, etc.

I also second that those first weeks aren't great for one-size pockets, but once you hit the 12lb mark- (unless new wee one has chubby thighs), going with the pockets works great. And get snaps - velcro can suck quickly! I hated having to clean out the hooks all the time from lint, etc.

You also don't need to buy as many pocket diapers as AIO's because the drying time is so quick comparatively. Buy extra liners for nightime. You can make your own liners, but spending a couple of extra bucks on the hemp inserts is SO worth it.

I hated my cloth diapering experience until I did FB.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Some pockets come with inserts, some don't. I *think* fb's do, but I haven't bought in a while. The regular inserts are microfiber, which are great, but hemp absorbs more and is thinner, so it's great for nighttime, car trips, etc., or if you just need another layer of absorbancy.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

the inserts they come with are ok, but hemp or bamboo are better... and I actually use the hemp inserts w/ the inserts that come with the diaper.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I bought used at several cloth diapering forums for a lot of mine, too. diaperswappers & hyenacart are two I used a lot.

Here's the site for the 2nds: http://fuzzibunzseconds.net/store/Default.asp
Old 11-14-2010, 01:44 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Traci, check out the Baby Bargain's forum. They have forum on diapering and tons of people that cloth diaper- http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...splay.php?f=57 Tons of info!
Old 11-14-2010, 01:52 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yea!! I can't wait to see your new little man!!
Old 11-14-2010, 02:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Whatever you decide...go with snaps, not the Velcro. They fall apart and they're a pain to clean lent and thread out of. I love my BumGenius diapers, but never will I buy a Velcro cloth diaper!

Old 11-14-2010, 02:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

has anyone used gdiapers?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Traci - If you buy new regular FB like you linked they will come with inserts. The diaper is a leak proof cover with a nice soft fleece inside that keeps the baby dry. These two layers form a pocket and there is a microfiber insert that you put in the pocket. When you take the diaper off, pull the insert out and put both pieces in the diaper pail or bag. Then you wash and dry them and put the insert back in.

If you buy seconds (FB that have a minor defect like the wrong color stitching or something but still work fine) they almost never come with an insert.

If you buy used some will sell them with inserts and some won't.

A lot of people complain about the microfiber inserts, but they are the ones that have worked the best for me, so that is what I stick with.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to DeepGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
No experience with cloth diapers here, but you are adorable!
Ditto! You're charmy and beautiful!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

And here's a site for hemp insert 2nds if you are interested: http://clothdiaperclearance.com/cata...p?category=484 not a whole lot off, but a little.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We used fuzzibunz with meri. I started when she was a year and they worked great. They didn't have the one size ones when she was in them though. But I've heard great things.

With Benjamin I got prefolds and covers(a combo of kissaluv one-sized covers and bummis whisper wrap). They are both working great. I also bought a rumperooz one-sized pocket diaper well because the print was really cute! Anyhow if I had tons of money I'd buy a whole bunch more them. They actually worked on Benjamin once his belly button healed. And he was only 8 lbs with not really that chubby of legs. They also have an inner elastic gussets that I'd imagine would come in handy with a big poop. And the inside is so soft!
Old 11-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No clue about the diapers, but I wanted to say that you look fab!!!

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 11-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

No experience with cloth diapers but just wanted to say...you look FABULOUS...so darn cute!!