Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default I think I'm ready to be done with Christmas already :(

I can't spend anymore money. Shopping is 1/2 the fun for me.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

dude....I feel ya.....I think I am done other than gettign Ben a few more Lego Hero dudes....my kids get wayyyyy tooo much for XMAS...my oldest DD is getting a laptop! And I still need to buy stocking stuffers!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

My SIL's practically ruined Christmas this year with their present "demands". Hubby is NOT amused with them. Meh.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh, sorry to hear that. All I have to get is a $20 bill and a frame (forgot about that one when I was out shopping).
Old 12-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're not buying any presents this year because we're going to Disney World, but we're still having a great time without the shopping. Our city has TONS of free activities to do at Christmas. So much that we've had to pick and choose because we can't fit everything in. What about a potluck get together with friends and a game night? Or a trip to the dollar movies to see Despicable Me? Or a night baking cookies and delivering them to neighbors? Or blog-stalk and pick a fun craft you've always wanted to do. There are lots of fun, free (or very cheap) ways to get in the season. And no one needs more STUFF. But more FUN, yes.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I am actually thrilled with my spending right now. We are $300 under budget due to getting a free refurb laptop for the boys, when I was looking at spending $500 on one, so we were able to step up the gifts we are giving to friends.

And I get to buy my new Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR [Vibration Reduction] Nikkor Zoom Lens now instead of waiting for the tax return money!!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheltzey View Post
We're not buying any presents this year because we're going to Disney World, but we're still having a great time without the shopping. Our city has TONS of free activities to do at Christmas. So much that we've had to pick and choose because we can't fit everything in. What about a potluck get together with friends and a game night? Or a trip to the dollar movies to see Despicable Me? Or a night baking cookies and delivering them to neighbors? Or blog-stalk and pick a fun craft you've always wanted to do. There are lots of fun, free (or very cheap) ways to get in the season. And no one needs more STUFF. But more FUN, yes.
A craft day... that sounds nice. I like what you're saying that no one needs more stuff, but more fun. That is EXACTLY what I needed to hear.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
My SIL's practically ruined Christmas this year with their present "demands". Hubby is NOT amused with them. Meh.
Demands? People have demands for Christmas gifts???

Old 12-15-2010, 09:33 AM

profile gallery send pm

When you only give a person a single idea, and then pitch a bratty fit when it is questioned (and in reality, the alternative suggestion was BETTER than the original gift), I call that making demands.

Everyone is getting gift cards, and one sister is getting a book of manners to go along with said gift card.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Everyone is getting gift cards, and one sister is getting a book of manners to go along with said gift card.
LOL. Would serve her right. ;-)

Old 12-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think after Christmas this year dh and I are going to make a pact about what we're doing NEXT year. I always forget the frustrations from the previous year when the holidays come around and I get all caught up in the same old things. I just spend too much money and buy my kids too many things.

I got keepsake ornaments for all my family members this year, except the guys who got funky tee's from Threadless. That worked out well.

I swear I'm setting next years budget THIS year!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:22 AM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
LOL. Would serve her right. ;-)
It certainly would. It wasn't even her present she was fighting about, it was her sisters! I've never seen my husband so angry at his own family as I did that night. Plus, she ended up saying some really hurtful things about me, which was completely unnecessary. She will most likely never be receiving a homemade gift from me again.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
It certainly would. It wasn't even her present she was fighting about, it was her sisters! I've never seen my husband so angry at his own family as I did that night. Plus, she ended up saying some really hurtful things about me, which was completely unnecessary. She will most likely never be receiving a homemade gift from me again.
Ha! Serves her right, too. I mean. People! It's about gifts. It's totally against the whole idea of gift-giving to give tantrums like this on such a topic.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 AM

profile gallery send pm

That was exactly my husband's point. It's a GIFT, you get what I want to give you, and you are then grateful for it. Period. He almost wasn't going to give them anything, which also would have served them right. They are both spoiled brats who get anything and everything they want, and have no appreciation for hard earned money. They are in for a RUDE awakening when they enter the real world.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to suze

Quote:
who would do things like that!! I'm sorry

this year everything is focused on just actually "getting" all the family together!! traditionally his family does super expensive gifts *eyeroll* and my family hangs out and gets drunk *fun mind you* and josh and I spend 10 hours and 2 days in the car back and fourth!!

With having Emma this year we are giving pictures and frames... bottom line!! we had so much more for creating the pictures and we told everybody to focus on her which wasn't a problem! lol I'm so excited to see what fun stuff she gets so we can play!! I heard something about mega blocks

my mom also is going through a lot so it will be nice just to get together. I know someone mentioned earlier this month about how gift giving is becoming overated... I can't agree more!!! Every year we get so stressed trying to by that you don't enjoy gift shopping anymore anyway. what do you get for people who have everything?? and then what do you get for people who just go overboard? dh sister bought us a couch set dont get me wrong I was thankful tho! His parents bought us a new laptop this year... trust me its only a fraction... His family is just way too generous!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That was exactly my husband's point. It's a GIFT, you get what I want to give you, and you are then grateful for it. Period. He almost wasn't going to give them anything, which also would have served them right. They are both spoiled brats who get anything and everything they want, and have no appreciation for hard earned money. They are in for a RUDE awakening when they enter the real world.
See, I'm embarrassed when people ask me what I would like to get. Because that means I have to think about how much it cost and such. And I don't like to do that.

I don't care what things cost (it's not the point with gifts, and I mean it - something simple that I really like is so much better than an expensive perfume that I can happen not to like), what I appreciate is that the person thought of me.

Even with gifts that clearly show that the giver didn't give much thought to what I really like (well, some people simply lack talent there, it's not a character flaw), I still appreciate the thought.

So reading this makes ME angry too.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:52 AM

profile gallery send pm

I always have things that I want. I know I should change my ways, but there's always something out there that I want. Be it photography related, craft related, clothes, whatever. I can always come up with gift ideas, and I usually give a big giant list so people can pick and choose what amount of money they would like to spend. And if they hate everything on the list and get me something else? Totally their perogative and I'm thankful that they thought of me at all.

It's very strange to me, how my in-laws raised the oldest 2 to know the value of a dollar, and hard work, yet the younger 2 are completely clueless. It's mind boggling to me, lol. They don't pay for school, or rent, or food money, or "play" money, the one got a new car that she didn't have to pay for and doesn't pay for gas or insurance, they go on trips to visit friends, they go on spring break, etc etc. They buy things that they want to buy without asking, and my FIL just pays the credit card bill and doesn't say anything. It's incredible to me, it really is. And I don't care that they get those things, because they aren't my children and how my IL's spend their money is their business. But when they argue over how WE should spend OUR hard earned money on THEM, it gets a little bit difficult.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I always have things that I want. I know I should change my ways, but there's always something out there that I want. Be it photography related, craft related, clothes, whatever. I can always come up with gift ideas, and I usually give a big giant list so people can pick and choose what amount of money they would like to spend. And if they hate everything on the list and get me something else? Totally their perogative and I'm thankful that they thought of me at all.

It's very strange to me, how my in-laws raised the oldest 2 to know the value of a dollar, and hard work, yet the younger 2 are completely clueless. It's mind boggling to me, lol. They don't pay for school, or rent, or food money, or "play" money, the one got a new car that she didn't have to pay for and doesn't pay for gas or insurance, they go on trips to visit friends, they go on spring break, etc etc. They buy things that they want to buy without asking, and my FIL just pays the credit card bill and doesn't say anything. It's incredible to me, it really is. And I don't care that they get those things, because they aren't my children and how my IL's spend their money is their business. But when they argue over how WE should spend OUR hard earned money on THEM, it gets a little bit difficult.
Oh. I can see the "little bit difficult" part. :-) It will be a shock for them once they are on their own.

Since the time I scrap, I tell people to buy me GCs, and leave it to them how much they buy. If they get me something else, it's fine with me too. This year I also wrote an email that I might appreciate some Slovak foods that you can't get in Luxembourg, because I see that some people are clueless as to what to give and they do appreciate if I help them like this.

But since I have everything that I need (and more) and the things that I want I can pay for myself, I keep a low profile when it comes to my "wish list", as most of my friends and family earn less than I do and I kind of feel weird asking for anything.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mine is done! Now I'm just waiting for the UPS man to deliver it all.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm halfway in terms of presents bought and won't have the ££ to go out for the rest until the 23rd Dec after I've got Jack's Birthday out the way!!