Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Switching from Photoshop CS5 to Elements?

Have you made a switch from CS5 (or similar) to Photoshop Elements? Did you regret it? I know I am just scratching the surface with my knowledge of CS5 and I am considering switching to Elements since it seems to have everything that I need. Is there anything that you don't like about Elements? I've downloaded the trial and know that I will need to make some changes in my workflow and I guess I'm just a little scared to commit and need some convincing.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For me I would really have problems with the shadowing limitations and the fact that my photo actions are limited in what you can do with them too... you won't be able to change the blend mode on your shadows tho, there are some workarounds but they aren't as nice and lots of extra steps... and separating the shadow to smudge or warp to make ribbons and 3D objects look more realistic isn't an option... tho, again there are workarounds but not as nice and extra steps...

photo actions just seem to work better in CS5 and you can tweak more...

so if those aren't important things to you or things you already weren't doing in CS5 than I'd say totally go for it... I LOVED PSE and highly recommend it to friends who ask
Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I've always scrapped with Elements (versions 3 & 6) and then hubby bought me CS5...I hated it!!! I gave it a good 2 months and I was just unhappy!!! It was way to much for me....I never did anything in it that I did (or couldn't) do in Elements!!!

I've never once regretted going back to Elements and I can't see myself ever reloading CS5 back on my computer!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

And Heather mentioned the separate layers thing for shadows...if that's really an issue for you I use this action (I used it way before I got CS5) by Anna Forrest, Create Shadow Layer v2 (for PSE). Yes it's an extra step but I can select all my layers (I'm talking 70 to 100) and run the action on all of them in like 30 seconds!!! Then you can do anything you want to any shadow layer!!!

Elizabeth

Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yeah... and Karah Fredricks has an action too that I really like for separating the shadow
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had to downgrade to Elements when my nice computer died. Yep - shadowing is kinda a pain in Elements, IMO. I missed the control I had in CS5. I also missed the ability to warp the shadow. OH - warping, period. I missed the liquify filter. I didn't realize, but I guess I used that more than I thought (this was for editing photos more than scrapping though). And jounaling - I couldn't do a text box like I always did in CS5. It's really nice being able to select around where I want the text to go and then make a box for it. I journal a lot on my pages, so not having this option annoyed me.

Good things about Elements - it does pretty much everything else I needed. You can shadow fine if you don't mind not tweaking things. The liquify filter is just an added perk for me. And a text box isn't too big of a deal - it's just a really handy feature. BUT! What elements has that I love is the photo bin thing. I love having everything there in the program for me to grab at leisure. And I like the color too - I like the black design and that all the tools on the left are in color (it's doesn't really matter the colors - but I just like them)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_eyes22 View Post
I had to downgrade to Elements when my nice computer died. Yep - shadowing is kinda a pain in Elements, IMO. I missed the control I had in CS5. I also missed the ability to warp the shadow. OH - warping, period. I missed the liquify filter. I didn't realize, but I guess I used that more than I thought (this was for editing photos more than scrapping though). And jounaling - I couldn't do a text box like I always did in CS5. It's really nice being able to select around where I want the text to go and then make a box for it. I journal a lot on my pages, so not having this option annoyed me.

Good things about Elements - it does pretty much everything else I needed. You can shadow fine if you don't mind not tweaking things. The liquify filter is just an added perk for me. And a text box isn't too big of a deal - it's just a really handy feature. BUT! What elements has that I love is the photo bin thing. I love having everything there in the program for me to grab at leisure. And I like the color too - I like the black design and that all the tools on the left are in color (it's doesn't really matter the colors - but I just like them)
You can do a text box in elements (not text path though):

Get the Type Tool.
Click and drag out a text box the size and shape you want your text to be.
Type your text.
When your text is complete, highlight all of the words.
Press Ctrl + Shift + J (Mac: Cmd + Shift + J) on your keyboard.

Elizabeth

Old 03-28-2012, 10:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

yeah - I'm another that can not get use to CS... ... I'm still trying - but I hate how it slows me up... Mama just wants to scrap! So, when I've got deadlines... yeah, I'm over in PSE... *shhhh*
Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
You can do a text box in elements (not text path though):

Get the Type Tool.
Click and drag out a text box the size and shape you want your text to be.
Type your text.
When your text is complete, highlight all of the words.
Press Ctrl + Shift + J (Mac: Cmd + Shift + J) on your keyboard.
Oh that's a great trick!! Thank you!! I tend to just grab a Cindy template (if I'm not already using one) and grab her text box and use it. It's nice when I can do unconventional shapes (ie: draw around ellies and stuff) but a square is better than nothing

Last edited by Jen22; 03-28-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

inside I am screaming "DONT DO IT!!!" lol If you already have CS I would not switch down - the control is just too awesome - you will get used to it, just keep playing!
On the other hand, for anyone who is looking to get one or the other, I always recommend Elements for anyone starting out scrapping. But its mostly because of the cost.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone. It's not so much that I'm not used to CS5 (it's the only version I've ever used) I was just wondering in a way if it is over kill for what I'm using it for. I've been using Elements at work and really like the look of it so I thought about changing. CS5 seems to bog down my computer so I thought that Elements might run faster.

I am going to try out some of the tips in this thread on the weekend when I have more time to play. Really appreciate all your help.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have both and I still scrap in PSE. I have Jen's shadows, so I'm just fine using those. I can't, and won't, give up the photo bin.