Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Anyone else have a no-santa Christmas?

I think I'm the only person I've met who has decided to NOT teach their children about Santa, and while I'm really happy with this decison, it's a little tricky when I'm out and other kids are around. I was just wondering if anyone else has a Christmas like mine?

I love that our December is really full of lots of fun, but my daughter isn't constantly talking about what Santa will bring her. She'll get lots of gifts, but she doesn't really care what they are. There is no need to remind my children of the 'true meaning of Christmas' because while presents are involved we do a lot of giving to others, serving others and making things for others -as well as attend many events at our church. My husband and I both made this decision before we had kids, and I couldn't go back now! My daughter (3) thinks 'Santas' are just like snowmen - something that shows up around this time of year. And we've begun talking to her about St. Nicolas, who did kind things for others and gave to the poor at this time of year - but it's not a real live creature that's coming to our house or anything. I had one mom at a playgroup tell me I'm ruining Christmas for my kids, and another who said ' oh, you must be one of those religious fanatics' when I said 'we don't really do that' when she asked if I had taken the kids to see Santa. What do you think?

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 12-09-2008, 03:59 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

we don't do santa here either I didnt' as a kid.. I don't really see the need. However, LOL... ce has just started realizing "who" santa is c/o the tv.. he thinks he's just like a tv character though.. it kinda makes me giggle. I remember being in 3rd grade and being really mean to the kids who believed in santa.. I hope ce isn't like that.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:01 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

oh and I get the whole.. "you're ruining things" for your kid all the time.. esp since we don't do halloween either. ^_^ once again.. never did as a kid.. and I'm just fine thx. lol
Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I wanted a no Santa life, DH wanted some Santa, so we kind of combined it. We celebrate Jesus' birthday on Christmas, and Santa is like a clown you invite to the party to entertain

He puts little presents in the stockings and he's around, but the main focus for the holiday is to celebrate the birth of Christ.

And don't worry about what other parents think of how you're doing it. We get people rolling our eyes at us all the time as well. I don't care. We choose to focus otherwise, and don't condemn them for their choice. It's a fun game we play, but the boys know it's just a game = but Leprechauns are real
Old 12-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We don't celebrate Christmas at all, so definitely no Santa here. It can be tricky, especially around the 4-5 age mark (at least for us). We've just explained to the kids that WE don't believe in Santa but that other kids do, so they can't say things like "there's no such thing as Santa" or "Santa is BAD" to other people.

Yeah and as for the "you're ruining" line...guess what...they can shove it. LOL! I have learned to just ignore remarks like that, and because growing up I didn't celebrate the holidays I got a lot of teasing and stuff...it just rolls off my back.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
I We celebrate Jesus' birthday on Christmas, and Santa is like a clown you invite to the party to entertain

= but Leprechauns are real
LOL Darcy!! Yeah I remember you do the whole leprechaun dust thing!

I guess we did do Santa as a child, but I figured it al out ;pretty soon and just got mad at my parents.

I'm really glas to hear I'm not totally alone!!

My Etsy Shop
Old 12-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I try to downplay Santa as much as possible, but my 4 year old still sees stuff about him on TV and at school. I've told him that Santa's just pretend, but he doesn't really seem to get that yet. We, too, try to emphasize that Christmas is about Jesus' birth.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I just don't understand people that judge others so harshly.
Are you raising THEIR kids not to believe in Santa or Christmas or Easter etc etc etc? No. So they should just keep quiet. Bah!

Do what you want and screw the rest. LOL! That's how I'm raising my kids. :P
Old 12-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We did the Santa thing when we were little, but my parents kind of taught us similar to what Darcy does. Santa was just a fun person that lots of kids believed in, but we were taught that the birth of Jesus was the most important thing this time of year. We also gave goodies away to the neighbors all the time during Christmas. I think that's the part that we loved the most - caroling to the neighbors house and giving them a plate of homemade goodies.

I wouldn't put too much stock into what other people say. You are raising your child the way your conscience dictates and nobody has the right to criticize you for it.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I hope people don't throw things at me, but I've always wondered why it's considered OK to lie to our kids "for fun"...again, coming from a background of someone who has NEVER celebrated most holidays. There's Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy...why is it acceptable to tell kids that these things are real? Doesn't that just bring mistrust into the equation when they realize that they were duped?

(Please don't throw things at me, I mean...you all are entitled to raise your kids however, but this is something I've always wondered about...just like you may have questions about why our religion does things a certain way, I have questions about why those who aren't part of our religion do them the other, lol).
Old 12-09-2008, 04:14 PM

profile gallery send pm

As a child raised with Santa and the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy in the equation, I can honestly say that I didn't feel duped or lied to at all when I realized they didn't exist. Neither did my brother or sister. I also think that Santa exists for those pure at heart. My mom calls herself the Head Elf at this time of year even though we all know who's buying gifts for who at this point. It's something fun, and a little silly, and it reminds me of my childhood and that wonder behind Santa and his 8 Reindeer.

Just because you believe in Santa, doesn't mean that the season can't be about Jesus' birth and giving to others and making others happy.

Last edited by ColleenSwerb; 12-09-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's a legitimate question, Bree!

JP doesn't believe in Santa any more, but he's not upset with anyone over it, nor does his have any distrust for us now. I think most kids just come to a gradual realization that Santa is Mom/Dad/Grandma/some person who loves them, and they accept that the gifts were given in the spirit of love, giving, and kindness. I know that's how JP sees it. He actually said to me, "Santa's kinda like another way to express Jesus' love for us because Jesus was kind, giving and loving too!" Ok, I don't entirely see it that way, but he does have a point to a certain extent.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids do believe in Santa and I kinda wish they didn't! I don't quite know how to break it to them!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would love to have a Santa-free house, but I know my FI and my mom are way too traditional for that to ever be possible, so my kids will be raised with the traditional Santa story. I will do my best to counter it with a Jesus birthday cake, an interactive nativity, etc.

Bree, I don't know of anyone that grew up with Santa and felt betrayed, lied to, or otherwise. Not that it's not possible, but I just don't know anyone personally. When I found out abt Santa, I was disappointed, to be sure, but I didn't feel put upon or like it was a cruel hoax or something.

Are you a Jehovah's Witness? That's the only religion/faith I know that does not celebrate holidays, but correct me if I'm wrong. I just wanted to share a cute Christmaselated story abt my JW elementary school bus driver if you were.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
Are you a Jehovah's Witness? That's the only religion/faith I know that does not celebrate holidays, but correct me if I'm wrong. I just wanted to share a cute Christmaselated story abt my JW elementary school bus driver if you were.
Yep...both Jae and I are.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo_Bryn

We do Santa but definitely not Jesus, LOL.
Yeah, that's right, I said it, whatcha gonna do?

Sorry, I'm in an ornery mood today.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh, okay.

My cute story:

My mom had purchased some Christmas goose dishtowels (?!) for me to give to my bus driver the last week of school before Christmas break. Unbeknownst to me, she was a JW, so when I gave her the towel set, she told me she couldn't accept them because she didn't celebrate Christmas. I was simultaneously confused and sad, but she quickly told me that if I was giving her the towels as a friendship gift, she could take them then. I happily told her they were a friendship gift, and so she took them. I don't think it even registered enough with me to tell my mom abt it later, but as I got older (and now), I always smile at how nice she was to me. Of course, she couldn't use the towels and prolly threw them away/regifted, but it was sweet of her to take them.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo_Bryn View Post

For whatever reason, you struck my funny bone and I sprayed water all over the monitor (via my nose). Didn't expect that response, that's for sure!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to Kim

We dont.

DH's family didnt do it and him and his sibs never felt like they were missing anything and they never ruined it for other kids. They celebrated Jesus' birthday and made a cake and everything. It is just as magical with out Santa.

I was crushed when I walked out to find my dad putting out Santa presents. And for all of my childhood I thought Christmas And Easter were about Santa and the Easter Bunny. I had no clue it had anything to do with Jesus.

We will teach him that Santa was based on a real person and that he shouldn't spoil other kids fun. We play Santa on Christmas day though. One person wears the santa hat and hands out gifts, but thats as Santa-ish as we get.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
My mom had purchased some Christmas goose dishtowels (?!) for me to give to my bus driver the last week of school before Christmas break. Unbeknownst to me, she was a JW, so when I gave her the towel set, she told me she couldn't accept them because she didn't celebrate Christmas. I was simultaneously confused and sad, but she quickly told me that if I was giving her the towels as a friendship gift, she could take them then. I happily told her they were a friendship gift, and so she took them. I don't think it even registered enough with me to tell my mom abt it later, but as I got older (and now), I always smile at how nice she was to me. Of course, she couldn't use the towels and prolly threw them away/regifted, but it was sweet of her to take them.
Awww, that's sweet! It's a hard thing to try to explain, especially to kids. There is a guy at DH's work that gives him a hard time about the "Christmas bonus"...we accept it because it's a gift from the company thanking him for the last year's worth of work (they don't work between Christmas and New Years), but some people figure that's hypocritical, etc. Some people just like to argue, lol.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyscrap View Post
Yep...both Jae and I are.
I'm curious by nature and like to know more about people... so if I'm prying, ignore me! Why don't you (general "you" for JWs) celebrate holidays?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'll pray for you real hard like. (BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)
Old 12-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Anyhoo, we do incorporate Santa into Christmas but that SO burns me when people say that crap like "You're ruining Christmas for your kids!" I can't believe the nerve of some people!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have Santa around here (well not anymore since my youngest if now 9 and knows the truth). We also made sure the kids know the real meaning of Christmas. At my ex in-laws, we always got together Christmas Eve. We would sit around and sing carols. She had made up these little cupcake looking things (that she used over and over each year) with a candle in them. We would sing Happy Birthday to Jesus.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieBananie View Post
I'm curious by nature and like to know more about people... so if I'm prying, ignore me! Why don't you (general "you" for JWs) celebrate holidays?
LOL, no worries...we're used to the questions and don't mind answering them, lol! Each holiday is something different - for Christmas the basic reasons (yes there is more than one) are...

1) Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Dec 25 is the day of Jesus' birth (we do believe in Jesus, contrary to some people's beliefs about us) - in fact the Bible says that the shepherds were out in the fields with their sheep, which they wouldn't have been in December because that is their rainy season

2) Nowhere in the Bible does it say that we should celebrate Jesus' birth - we are only instructed to remember his death.

3) Christmas was actually created by early Christians to coincide with Pagan holidays that already existed - even the Catholic encyclopedia says this

(Sorry if I offend anyone with this post - I don't mean to, I'm just merely stating our beliefs...and I don't mean to hijack this thread, lol).
Old 12-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cool, thanks Bree

Oops, I totally initiated the threadjack... so *I'm* sorry!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

LOL, we don't do Santa OR Jesus.

well used to do Santa but Henry figured it out so I don't have to continue with that charade anymore.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
I hope people don't throw things at me, but I've always wondered why it's considered OK to lie to our kids "for fun"...again, coming from a background of someone who has NEVER celebrated most holidays. There's Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy...why is it acceptable to tell kids that these things are real? Doesn't that just bring mistrust into the equation when they realize that they were duped?

(Please don't throw things at me, I mean...you all are entitled to raise your kids however, but this is something I've always wondered about...just like you may have questions about why our religion does things a certain way, I have questions about why those who aren't part of our religion do them the other, lol).
I don't feel duped. I still believe in Santa. not the whole fat guy in a red suit thing but Santa to me represents the magic of Christmas, and I believe in that. So I don't feel that I'm lying to my children.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:54 PM

profile gallery send pm

So what about celebrations/holidays Bree?
One of my best friends was raised JW. I'm not sure if he still follows that faith or not. By the time I met him (I was like 19 or 20, he was 18 or 19) I think he had been criticized so much, he gave up explaining, so we don't really talk about it. I've always been curious though.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

we do very little Santa. mostly lots of Jesus.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodoNY0123 View Post
So what about celebrations/holidays Bree?
One of my best friends was raised JW. I'm not sure if he still follows that faith or not. By the time I met him (I was like 19 or 20, he was 18 or 19) I think he had been criticized so much, he gave up explaining, so we don't really talk about it. I've always been curious though.
For MOST (if not all, but I can't be sure because I haven't looked at this info for years, not since I was a kid) of the holidays it's basically the same reason as #3 for Christmas - many of the holidays out there were created by Christianity to go with current Pagan holidays and rituals. Easter became about Jesus' death, when it was originally worshipping gods for spring. Valentine's day, St. Patrick's Day, Halloween, even New Years have other meanings behind them. That's the simplified look at it, anyhow.

I did say that we remember Jesus' death each year, and it's "like" Easter, but many times it's not held at the same time - we calculate it based on the actual Jewish calendar (Nisan 14), not based on the more recent/currently used calendar system. It's the ONLY thing that we do each year.

Birthdays for us is tied sorta into #2 of the Christmas one - if we were never told to celebrate Jesus' birth, who was perfect and the most deserving of all humans to be celebrated, why would we celebrate our own births...we were all born in sin and into sin (whereas Jesus was perfect). Besides that the only other times birthdays are mentioned as being celebrated in the Bible (twice), people were killed (John the Baptist was beheaded, and I can't remember the other one now, lol...my memory is getting really bad).

LOL, again...sorry to hijack the thread!
Old 12-09-2008, 05:09 PM

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for answering Bree
Old 12-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyfizzy View Post
we do very little Santa. mostly lots of Jesus.
Same here.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My husband's family doesn't celebrate Easter or Christmas (or even birhtdays really) and they are Brethren - so he grew up with nothing of that sort.
And while I am sure that December 25th wasn't actually Jesus birthday (probably happened near Passover) so many festivals and feasts were begun in the Old Testament that helped the people remember what God had done. And I know that there were many other festivals around soltice and this time of year but I see Christmas as an opportunity to remember what God has done, celebrate who he is and the gift of Christ and to redeem this day for Him (even if it was previously a day celebrating something else).

It's really interesting hearing what everyone else has to say on this subject!

(And I just want to be clear, that I in no way think people need to celebrate the same way as me - this is what fits into the values of our house and what works for us...)

My Etsy Shop
Old 12-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
John the Baptist was beheaded, and I can't remember the other one now
was the baker of Pharaoh

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 12-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, that was it, Meg. I don't know why I couldn't remember that one, DH just read that story to the kids a few days ago...
Old 12-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Hahahaha....this is us also!!
Old 12-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

This always cracks me up.

Creationism VS. Science
Liberals VS. Christians
Santa VS. Jesus

So many people I've found like to pit Christianity against other things and it always cracks me up (I'm not talking about this thread, just in general). Guess what? I'm a Liberal Christian who believes that the Big Bang was the WAY God Created the universe and we have BOTH Santa AND Jesus at Christmas. I guess I break the mold. LMAO.

As far as it's concerned, Santa represents the magic of this time of year for my kids. The goodwill and blessings that Jesus bestowed upon the Earth now 2000 years later is all bundled up an a fat guy in a suit. We do Christmas musicals at church, go to the nativity, all three of the books we read every night are all representations of the Christmas story but we also leave out cookies and carrots, go sit on Santa's lap and have special presents that Santa brought. Our kids think Santa is Jesus' helper. I don't feel I'm lying to them, when they get old enough to know better I will explain to them that even though he's not in human form, Santa is a representation of all that Christmas is supposed to be, kindess, goodwill and love.

Sorry, guess that was long, I think I get passionate when I get the feeling that people think you can't do certain things (like be a liberal, believe in the Big Bang or incorporate Santa into Christmas too) and be a Christian at the same time. LOL
Old 12-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i agree with some of what you said traci and for our family too, santa represents the magical time of the season. the goodwill to others etc. i believe both Jesus and santa can co-exist during the christmas season as well, but Jesus is our focus for sure. please...*i* still believe in santa.

it's been fun hearing about everyones personal traditions and getting a different view from all of you.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
As far as it's concerned, Santa represents the magic of this time of year for my kids. The goodwill and blessings that Jesus bestowed upon the Earth now 2000 years later is all bundled up an a fat guy in a suit. We do Christmas musicals at church, go to the nativity, all three of the books we read every night are all representations of the Christmas story but we also leave out cookies and carrots, go sit on Santa's lap and have special presents that Santa brought. Our kids think Santa is Jesus' helper. I don't feel I'm lying to them, when they get old enough to know better I will explain to them that even though he's not in human form, Santa is a representation of all that Christmas is supposed to be, kindess, goodwill and love.
This is me too. I will just follow Traci around and say Word.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

My DH didn't do Santa, but my mom played Santa for a long time. We always went to midnight mass at church, so I knew what the really important part of Christmas was. However, I enjoyed the feeling of excitement I got knowing that Santa would be coming and all that. I figured it out on my own and it wasn't really that big of a deal to me. I mean, come on, can you really believe a big man in a red suit comes down your chimney!!! Especially when the fire is going!! Whatever works for you and your family is what is best!

My Sweet Shoppe Gallery
Old 12-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

We do Santa, and I go way out of my way to ensure it's very realistic, my 8 year old still believes wholeheartedly. But I definitely don't think that people that don't are bad, evil or ruining their kids LOL.

To each their own I say, and do whatever is right for your family, screw everyone else!
Old 12-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my kids are aware of santa. but, i sometimes wish they weren't; Chloe gets on my nerves when day after day i hear "i want santa to bring me blah blah blah.." lol. since we're not a church going family, my kids don't know anything about Jesus. which, i find sad. i grew up not going to church but i did attend bible school. and loved it. so, my kid will eventually learn about jesus. they are just so young now. Well, Chloe could learn about Jesus and probably understand, being almost 6.

i didnt feel duped when i found out santa was really mom and dad. i understood the reasoning behind it. Christmas is magical to kids and santa is a part of that.

an another not, does anyone notice that if you re arrange the letters of Santa you get Satan????? VERY creepy.....lol!
Old 12-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

my parents sat my sister and i down on christmas, at like 3 and 4 and told us there was no santa....

it totally sucked! seriously i grew up feeling like i was missing out on something really fun... ofcourse my whole childhood was monumentally differnt than all the other kids i ever knew in like every way imaginable... i just want things to be more "normal" for my family...

Old 12-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

You're not the only one. My mom filled me in when I was three because the jolly old fat man in the big red suit scared me. Once she told me he was just a guy in a costume, I was fine. My dad's family gave her a hard time about it...they said 'who will she think gives her gifts?" Mom's answer...'people who love her.' That shut them up but they still didn't like it.
When I taught pre-k and K, I had some kids who believed, and some who didn't. There would generally be more than one argument break out about Santa...I just told the kids that different families believed different things, and that it was ok if someone else believed differently about Santa than they did.
I did pick up a Santa, Are You for Real? book at the Christian bookstore...it talks about St. Nicholas and how he gave to others. It was a good read for the kids...I'd recommend it...and want to go get a copy for Rachel.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My parents and my husband's parents didn't do Santa, so he wasn't all that important to us - thus, no Santa for our kids.

What I find crazy is that we know 13 and 14-year olds who still think Santa exists and their parents do everything possible, including going into ridiculous debt, to make sure that their kids get what they put on Santa's list in order to keep the belief in Santa alive. I just think that's a little nuts.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

The holiday season is different for every family, I would never judge how someone decides to celebrate. There is no right or wrong way to celebrate (or not celebrate) this time of year.

We "believe" in Santa, and don't believe in Jesus. To each his own
Old 12-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

We don't do Santa. I didn't want the focus of Christmas to be on presents and material things and I was afraid we'd get caught up in that if we did choose to have Santa (because she is the only grandchild and is spoiled rotten by them, and some other reasons like that). I told her that we give presents because the wise men brought Jesus presents, and because the spirit of Christmas is to give. So it's about Christ and giving here. Now, the Santa thing is unavoidable. We did discuss that it's okay and you don't judge other people for doing Santa and you cannot tell your classmates that there is no Santa. Let their parents handle that. Some people think it's fun and that's ok for them. She's fine with it and actually has made some comments that she's glad we didn't try to trick her and say he was real. So I guess it's worked out for us. We're going to do a lesson next week on the real St.Nick and learn about Hannukah and some other Christmas traditions.
Quote:
I had one mom at a playgroup tell me I'm ruining Christmas for my kids, and another who said ' oh, you must be one of those religious fanatics' when I said 'we don't really do that' when she asked if I had taken the kids to see Santa. What do you think?
This is the typical reaction I get, and being homeschoolers makes us even weirder LOL. The first couple of years it bothered me, but she's 7 now. I'm learning more and more with time not to give a rip about what people say about how you choose to raise your kids. I was raised in one of those hypocritical christian in name only homes that sat in church every Sunday but acted like the devil as soon as they got out the door. You know, claim to believe in Jesus then have a worldview totally contradictory to everything He says. I was a brat who got mad when I didn't get everything I wanted from "santa". Most of my parenting is trying to avoid the mistakes my mother made, and being glad her father is involved. Mine was always hunting or working or doing anything he could to get away from my mother. Which is still true today (he's over at my house ALL the time LOL), although she is not quite as rotten as she used to be. I didn't want to set this precedent in our family. Lots of deep rooted reasons why I do what I do. Other people don't know where you've been or what it's like to walk in your shoes. So eventually you just have to learn to roll with the punches and be strong enough in your own convictions to not let everyone else's opinions bother you. Hang in there, you do what you think is best for your children.

facebook

Last edited by AmyM; 12-09-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Creationism VS. Science
Liberals VS. Christians
Santa VS. Jesus

So many people I've found like to pit Christianity against other things and it always cracks me up (I'm not talking about this thread, just in general). Guess what? I'm a Liberal Christian who believes that the Big Bang was the WAY God Created the universe and we have BOTH Santa AND Jesus at Christmas. I guess I break the mold. LMAO.

Sorry, guess that was long, I think I get passionate when I get the feeling that people think you can't do certain things (like be a liberal, believe in the Big Bang or incorporate Santa into Christmas too) and be a Christian at the same time. LOL
Traci, you are a woman after my own heart!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Creationism VS. Science
Liberals VS. Christians
Santa VS. Jesus

Pretty much how I feel Traci.

I think if you don't want your kids to believe in Santa, that's up to you. But in the long run, its fun for the kids, and I want my kids to have wonderful memories. Its not about the gifts, its about the joy and excitement that they have and that makes me happy.

I might think people that don't do Santa are a little crazy, LOL! I'm just kidding, but then again I think people that spend $1000's on Christmas are also a little crazy.

You have to do what you think is right for your family. I don't think my kids will be upset when they find out there isn't a Santa, I wasn't, neither were my brothers.