Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default any quilters?

okay, I'm having kind of a restless winter - and I'm thinking picking up a new hobby I've always wanted to do might pull me out of this funk. Both my mom and grandma were avid skilled quilters, but they both passed away when I was young and I never got the chance to learn from them. My local fabric store has some classes...and I drool over quilt patterns online all the time.

But if you're a quilter - where do I begin?
I have a great sewing machine, which I do know how to use but what other supplies do I need to start?
Recommendations of great websites/blogs/books/magazines?
I'm not a fan of wall-hangings or table runners, but what should I start with?

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 01-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have been wanting to learn to quilt for quite awhile. Have dabbled a very little, but I have managed to gather quite a fabric collection though.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

that's just my problem, I have never been a paper hoarder because I never paper scrapbooked...but if I became a quilter I would have mountains of fabric I'm sure...now if only some of you SSD designers designed fabrics...

My Etsy Shop
Old 01-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a quilter either, but would like to try making a rag quilt. They're so soft and yummy-looking!!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayawake View Post
that's just my problem, I have never been a paper hoarder because I never paper scrapbooked...but if I became a quilter I would have mountains of fabric I'm sure...now if only some of you SSD designers designed fabrics...
Weeeell...you can buy printable fabrics and print the amazing papers onto them... That's what I intend to do...
Old 01-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I quilt a little bit. I would suggest that you start with a basic patchwork quilt. This will help you get the feel for it.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I took the beginners class at JoAnns and it was great
Old 01-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to heyitslauriebeth

My mom taught me a little bit when I was in 6th grade - my sixth grade math class actually made a quilt, we came up with patterns and sewed them together, it was really cool. Anyway, for extra credit, I came up with my own pattern and made a pillow out of it, which is how my mom really taught me how to quilt. I'd do something small like that, a quilted pillow or something, as my first project, and then from there do a larger patchwork quilt, to get a feel for it.

CT for LilyAnne Taylor at Elemental Scraps
Old 01-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE to quilt!!! It's one of my favorite hobbies!! I would suggest starting small, with a simple 4 patch sampler. Since you don't like wall hangings or table runners, how about placemats or a small baby quilt? You definitely need a cutting mat, rotary cutter and see through grid ruler (usually a rectangular one to start with). Go to allpeoplequilt.com and look around there. I taught myself and have a ton of magazines and patterns. Better Homes and Gardens has, I think, some of the nicest, but easiest patterns in their quilting magazines. You can get those magazines at JoAnns I know for sure. Let me know if you want any more info!! I could talk quilting all day!!! Oh, rag quilts are easy and fun as well. Let me look and see if I have any pictures of some of my quilts and I'll post a couple in a minute.

Ohhh... I'm all giddy now!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Ok, here are a few of mine...
A simple strip quilt I did for DD - lapsize and super soft flannel

Here is a wallhanging I did for our bedroom:

And here is a wild rag quilt I did for DS. This pic was taken before it was washed/dried and fluffed so you can't see the ragging very well:
Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This was the first (and only so far lol) one I finished:

Old 01-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Kelli - I will DEFINITELY be coming to you when I start my first project for guidance!!! I don't know anyone who is a quilter to learn from. The local fabric store has two or three classes every month. They are offering an 'easy strip quilt' class and a 'rag quilt' class. I just made a super-simple baby quilt for my son (9 squares and edging on the top, plain background, and it's not really 'quilted' together, just sewn along the edges). But I really want to take on a big project sometime.

My Etsy Shop
Old 01-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh Angie - that is lovely!!! I love the soft colors!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh and Kelli and Angie - your quilts are both GORGEOUS! What is the pattern of your quilt called Angie?

My Etsy Shop
Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I would definitely take a class if you can. Then you can meet some other quilters as well. I don't have a lot of time for classes but am always on the lookout for good ones. I've just finished a Valentine's day small wallhanging top. My quilting goal for the year is to make a small wallhanging for every holiday. I'm aiming high!!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

uh it's like log cabin on point or something? Lol
Old 01-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just made simple strip quilts for my kids too. They LOVE them.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mandy is a huge quilter - I'll send her this way!

Penny
Old 01-30-2009, 02:23 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I LOOOOOVE to quilt! I have made 3 quilts in the last year, and I have the callouses to prove it.

Everyone has offered great advice. Definitely take a class, start out with an easy pattern, and try to envision the end product the whole time so that you don't QUIT! I know so many people that do the fun parts of choosing the fabric and sewing the top together...and then they stop!

Here's my latest quilt. I made it for DH as an early graduation gift. My daughters helped me choose the fabric (with some guidance from me, hehe!) and then I stitched part of the BYU fight song around the edges. I like to hand quilt my projects with crochet thread for a more shabby look.

I love the back. It looks like a brick road. Way cool.

Check out quilting mags, too. I like compare quilting to scrapping, from choosing the fabric patterns and colors, to the creative process of putting it all together, to seeing the final product...it's so satisfying!

Oh, and by the way, that's a Pea font...I used publisher to make banners for the borders, and then I chalked on the font and did a somewhat lazy backstitch on the chalk.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ok I lied, I think it's Rail on Point.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Mandy I LOVE that you used a pea font on a quilt!!!! *LOL* too cute!!!
I just checked out the Better Homes and Gardens quilting site - and it looks like their new Quilts and More magazine has lots of super cute easy projects to start with! A quilted pin cusion? SO cute! I NEED one. I have three our four fat quarter packs in my fabric box right now that I could totally use to start this - I just need to find somewhere that sells that mag.

My Etsy Shop
Old 01-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

JoAnns sells the magazine. You might be able to find it at Hobby Lobby as well but I'm not sure. I've bought it at JoAnns. You can also get a subscription!!! :-)
Old 01-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

*LOL* I'm up in Canada... we have neither Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's. I can probably find it at Chapters or Michaels, I just have to get out and find it (and think of a reason to tell Dh why I *need* it...but I'm letting him to go the fancy tool shop tomorrow, so he'll be in a good mood...)

My Etsy Shop
Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There was no hand quilting going on when I did mine, but that's my next mission. I've started a 2nd small quilt and I LOVE the colors and fabrics, but I haven't had time to play with it for a while.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Lindy, Michaels, Chapters or just about anywhere that sells magazines should have it. Heck, I have seen it at the store where I live, and I'm in the middle of nowhere! lol
Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to MelissaL88

Lindy, The grocery stores down here carry most of the major quilt magazines. BHG and McCall's are two of the best for "beginner" type quilts. Judy Martin is a quilting goddess - she has several books on basic quilt patterns. Here's her website: http://www.judymartin.com/
I've made a couple things from her patterns - a wall hanging and a mantle scarf for Christmas (the two things you don't like ) I enjoy quilting, but I've put it aside for awhile, since there are only so many hours in a day. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing for your first project.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yup...grocery stores around here sell the magazines too. I'm not sure if you're in a town or city...but Safeway, Superstore (and their lesser companions - Extra Foods, etc), Overwaitea/Save-On Foods, IGA/Sobeys...they carry all sorts of magazines and LOTS of quilting ones.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I finished my first quilt and matching pillow shams a few months ago. It just came back from being quilted last week! I need to finish the binding on it and it will be done!

I did a log cabin which was super easy! I need to take a picture of it!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I think there is a natural affinity in us scrappers for quilting (since we already adore colour and pattern and texture).
I haven't done any since the kids came along, but am in the process of cutting up all their new-born sleepers into blocks for a quilt (I couldn't bare to part with them and can't just leave them in a rubbermaid)!!
I think a begginner's course is a super idea. You'll probably start a second quilt before you are even done the first!!

my sassy blog
Old 01-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I loooove scrapbook papers, and so fabrics draw me in too. I love walking around a fabric store, but don't know what I'd DO with the fabric!
I have to retract something I said - after looking around at allpeoplequilt.com I have to say I actually love some of the wall hangings there. Hmm... maybe I need to give it a try before I judge them? *LOL*

My Etsy Shop
Old 01-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love quilt shops!! Fabric makes me happy!! I also sew many of DD's clothes and I'm now saving scraps to put in a quilt at some point.

There is a quilt shop about an hour away that has 4 or 5 long arm quilting machines. They give classes on how to use the machines yourself and then you rent them for 2 hour blocks of time for $40 and take in your quilts and quilt them yourself. This is another one of my goals for the year!! I talked to one lady that was using it one day and she said she can get 2-3 small lap quilts done in that 2 hour time frame - WOW!!! How cool is that??? I don't have the time or desire really to hand quilt so this would be perfect for me. I can quilt on my sewing maching but can't really do any decorative quilting at this point. I'm only comfortable with straight lines. :-)
Old 01-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

yeah, see there's so much I need to learn about this! I have an old quilting frame if I felt like doing things by hand... but the quilting shops around me have longarm services (they'll do it for you for one fee, or you can do it for another fee, etc.) I had no idea though that some people pay the quilt shops to quilt their quilts!! *LOL* sounds like a great plan though, I mean after the top is pieced and everything. Can you do most of a bed-sized quilt on a good sewing machine if it's just straight lines?

My Etsy Shop
Old 01-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Wow, I didn't realize machine quilting is so popular! I've just always done mine by hand. I find it relaxing to sit with my friends who also quilt and work and chat while we watch a chick flick.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My favorite quilt books are the Fat Quarter ones by M Liss. <3
Old 01-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Lap quilts and smaller are easily doable on a machine. You could quilt a twin sized one on a machine possibly but you would have to really, REALLY pin your three layers really well and then "package" your quilt (roll it on the right side and fold it on the left) really tightly to keep things from shifting and I think it might still be a bit difficult. The only other thing about a twin size quilt would be if it would fit through the hole of the machine and not be too bulky. For one bigger than a twin size, you are going to almost have to hand quilt it, do it with a long arm or send it out to be done. The going rate around here is 1.5 cents/sq inch.

Fat quarter quilts are great. I also have two "Turning Twenty" books and those are easy and fun. I did a big Halloween lap quilt last fall.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've done one quilt! I finished the top about 5 years ago, and it's sat in my closet ever since. I didn't have a machine good enough to quilt it or the patience to hand quilt it. So for Christmas my sister finished it up for me. Her MIL is an avid quilter and has this insanely huge and expensive machine. I love how it turned out!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh Chelsey - that is gorgeous!!!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtutu View Post
Oh Chelsey - that is gorgeous!!!!!
Thanks! I really love it. Now that I have a pretty good machine, I might try another one! As if I really needed ANOTHER project!

Old 01-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I want to make a bigger one but it seems so intimidating. I wish I had some local quilting friends!