Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Camera question - black spot

I've noticed this black spot on almost every picture I have taken lately, and finally today I cleaned my lens (and the UV filter on it)....but it didnt fix it! So I cleaned it a few more times LOL but still had a black spot in the same spot on all my pictures. So then I switched lenses...SAME black spot! Crap. So there's something in my camera...I took the lens off and "blew" in there a couple times to see if the dust or whatever would come out. Nope.

So...do I need to take my camera in to get it "cleaned" or is there something else I can do? I've got a Nikon D50...it's over 5 years old. I wouldn't mind an upgrade but can't really afford it right now!!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm sure someone with actual experience can tell you better, but I think what you need to do is clean the sensor. I took a photography class from a pro who said she gets her's cleaned every month and the amateur should do it every (3 months? year?). I can't remember exactly! My camera has an automatic sensor cleaning every time I turn it on and off, so I haven't taken it anywhere, but as I understand it you can get it done at any camera shop for about $40.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It could be a dirty sensor, in which case cleaning it should fix the problem. We had a bad pixel on the sensor of our first (10+ years ago) digital camera that showed up as a black square when we zoomed in on the photo. There was no fix for that except to have the sensor replaced. Hopefully yours is just dirty.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Can you post a picture for us to see?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

heres a sample of 2 pictures...one was vertical and I cropped it, but the spot is in the same place. There is one main spot, and a few smaller ones. I was doing some googling and might try and clean the sensor if I can get my hands on the right stuff to do it.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Like others said, it's a dirty sensor. Be glad you noticed quickly, back in 2005 I only noticed after I came from vacation and there were dots on every single photograph I did there. :-)

When this happened I used to take it to a service and they cleaned it for a small charge (10 EUR, which is about 13 USD) or for free (depending on how lucky I was).

Last edited by adrianka; 05-14-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

it's actually been happening for a while...I've just been too lazy to clean the lens (or kept forgetting). Now I've realized that's not the problem. I've asked a local photographer friend about this and she recommended a place but says it will cost $100!! Uh...no thanks. I ordered some cleaning swab thingies off ebay for $6. I will see what those do first.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k23m View Post
it's actually been happening for a while...I've just been too lazy to clean the lens (or kept forgetting). Now I've realized that's not the problem. I've asked a local photographer friend about this and she recommended a place but says it will cost $100!! Uh...no thanks. I ordered some cleaning swab thingies off ebay for $6. I will see what those do first.
Melissa ... would you PM and let me know if those work or not? I got the same quote for taking mine in ...
Old 05-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
Melissa ... would you PM and let me know if those work or not? I got the same quote for taking mine in ...
I will try and remember once they get here...of course the ones I ordered are from China so they will take forever to get here.