Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Today is the day... advice, thoughts, regrets?

I'm getting my first tattoo tonight. Ive waited until 34 to get- primarily because I was worried about it. I didn't want to be judged and wanted it to be perfect. Have yet to see the finished drawing but I'm so excited and nervous. My husband is getting his color done first and then me. Eeek!

Its based on a design I saw in his shop- basically and old school heart with a banner (it'll say "Marley" my dd) withflowers behind it and a bird flying over it. Still a bit worried about placement- had set on putting it inside my wrist but its too big to hide with bracelets. Then thought shoulder blade but then I won't see it, so they suggested my upper arm- like where a cap sleeve would be. I teach special needs preschoolers so I need to be able to hide it and it would only show if I wear sleeveless. I think I'm most worried about it of course because its permanent and i want to it look feminine but my husband says its feminine looking even if its in a less conventional "girly tat spot".

Any advice?

Thanks for letting me ramble- cant do it on facebook because yes, at 34 I'm still worried my mom will be disappointed with me. Loo!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

GOOD LUCK! I don't have any advice because I don't have any tattoos and am too chicken to get one done. But I can't wait to see pictures!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If you want to be able to see it definitely get it some where like your arm/shoulder ... you could also do upper leg where it would only show with shorts or something. My dd is going to be a teacher and has a large tat on her forearm ... she wears long sleeves or little sweaters while in the school building, np.

As for rregrets.... none! I am so glad I finally got it, I love it every time I look at it. Mine is on my forearm as well, but I could car less what anyone thinks hehe! Good luck, and it does not hurt that bad, no worries! Way less than having a kid hehe
Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Lol! I haven't even factored in the pain aspect yet but I figure it shouldn't take long and ive had two babies so.... If I didn't live in Texas where its always so darn hot I don't think Id worry so much about it because I could easily cover up. Austin is pretty liberal so its not a huge deal here, but if we were to end up somewhere more conservative i could see it being an issue. My husband wants a full sleeve but cant because he'd have to cover it at work and hes too hot blooded to take the temperature! he's finishing his first piece but its taking 7 hours- its his entire upper arm but looks amazing. Fingers crossed!!!

Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Have you considered getting it on your ankle, foot or leg? I suppose it depends on your shoe choice & skirt length. I was 34 when I got my first tat as well. I went with the inside ankle area because it isn't that easily seen. How often do you notice the inside of someone's ankle?
Definitely get it someplace you can see it. My two fav tats are on my shoulder & I can only see them in a mirror.

I'm trying to decide wher to get my next tat now. It's a phrase and rather long. I was thinking of my wrist but I don't think it will fit. I want to get this put somewhere where I will see it

"It's merely corroborative detail, intended to give verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative"
Old 06-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I would definitely get it somewhere I could see it easily, mine are on my back so I forget about them I'm thinking my next one will be over the shoulder like this one, but since I'm an artist who works for myself, I don't have to worry about covering them up.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
I would definitely get it somewhere I could see it easily, mine are on my back so I forget about them I'm thinking my next one will be over the shoulder like this one, but since I'm an artist who works for myself, I don't have to worry about covering them up.

This is kind of where I would get one. A little lower though, below the collarbone and above the breast area over to one side or the other. It would be hidden in a normal t-shirt or blouse, but visible with something low-cut or strappy on. Either that or on the underside of my forearm.

You can "practice" where you're thinking of putting your tattoo by drawing a little doodle in the approx. size with some washable markers on your shoulder cap. That way you can try on some tops and see just how easy it would be to hide with the clothes you tend to buy.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That spot was in the running for me too. I was a little worried that it may draw too much attention to my chest but then again so do big tatas! Lol! Depending on how big he draws it, this spot may still be a consideration. Love all the color.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I like the collarbone. I will be getting mine on my wrist when I get it done. What about an ankle tattoo for placement? My daughter got hers on her shoulder. It only shows when she wears a tanktop but she got it on hte back. Hers matches her husbands. They both got turtles. Since they are both beachy kinda people it made sense. Inside the turtle shell is a hibiscus.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have one on my shoulder cap just like your describing, pain wise it was the easiest of all of mine. And its easy to cover. I forget its there though. But I forget about all of mine sometimes. I love my tats and have no regrets. They all have a meaning to me and that's what's important to me. I hope you share pictures afterwards.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes... I have two regrets: My first regret is that the little butterfly I got on my back was so small and "blah." And the second is that the colored "tribal" art that I got a year later to go around it ended up looking more like the flames of hell. (Of course, that has significance to me now, as a Christian. LOL! But at the time, I was pissed.)

The two people who worked on me did not give me what I expected. My tats are thick and blurry... and yes, I regret them. But I don't often remember that I even have them (because it's on my back)... so I'm good.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have one on my shoulder cap and its my favorite placement. Its easily covered, easily shown and it was the least painful. Have fun!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217

i would do what Brook said about using washable marker to be able to see what top you could wear.

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 06-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Mine is small and in the hallow of my collar bone and shoulder. Easy to see and easy to hide. My son was 7 when I got mine and he cried because my dad had told him jokingly that only scums or criminals had tatoos and he didn't know which one I was but that both were bad. My dad felt awful! Lol
Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I have 3 and they are all easily coverable (one on my ankle, one around my bellybutton and one on my right shoulder blade) and I have plans to go back and get one on my other ankle/foot of a cherry blossom and I have no regrets on really any of them even though 20+ years later my unicorn (ankle) I am not real fond of, but it is small and I may get it covered....
Old 06-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i have 2. one on my ankle that i always forget about and one on top of my foot that i absolutely love. i want another on the inside of my wrist but don't know that that will ever happen.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

i have a few.
- an aids ribbon and apple logo for my brother. he worked at apple and hooked me at a young age. he passed away when i was ten and lived with hiv for ten years.
- a puzzle piece on my back, bff has one too.
- a nautical star on my foot. i love this one. i see it all the time... i made sure it poked out of my shoes (i always wear toms) and wes (the fiancé) has nautical stars on his shoulders. i did a marker with this one to help with size.

hope it is going / went well!!
can't wait to see the finished art!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yikes- these are giant- trying to resize now!) Ok so I'm positive my mom will be mad at me (even though I'm 34! Sheesh!-- Update- she just texted me- it's so big, no more please!!! but I'm not disowned yet so I guess we're ok)

I got it last night after my hubby got his color done (I'll show you his too). I'm very pleased with how it turned out- not too big or small, can hide unless I'm wearing sleeveless or a swimsuit and very bright colors. I like the old school look of it and that's before it's healed or touched up.

The only bad news?
JOHNNY DEPP was in just a few days before and I missed it! Eeek! The good thing about having Austin's most award winning tattoo artist- lots of beautiful people show up there!

It really didn't hurt much at all- like a cat scratch- possibly because I chose a fleshy spot? Anyway, I had to share! Thanks again for the input.

Here's my hubby's: His really is big (but since it wasn't me, my mom was ok with this?!)

Last edited by schock77; 06-19-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

it is BEAUTIFUL!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love yours!! Its so pretty and "classic tatoo" looking, yet feminine!

I am too chicken to get a tatoo...but if I get one, its going to be thumbnail sized, red maple leaf, on my shoulder. My hubby wants some too - a Canada hockey logo, and something with our kids names.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

wow! They are both GREAT! Which tattoo artist did you use Stephanie?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

It's gorgeous, girl!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

It turned out awesome!!!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Love how it turned out!!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberK View Post
wow! They are both GREAT! Which tattoo artist did you use Stephanie?
Chris Gunn at Southside Tattoo- he's amazing! And he books up a couple months out usually- we just lucked out. LOVE his stuff... http://www.chrisgunn.net/

Old 06-19-2012, 01:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Awesome!

Don't worry; I know that when/if I get a tattoo my mom will definitely disown me. She's already made it known hither and yon that only 'trashy people' get tattoos.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh yes... she said "That's big. No more please! No piercings or shaved heads either".... LOL I'm a married mom and a special education preschool teacher for goodness sake... first I couldn't do that. second, I'm pretty sure I fall under the "good people" category LOL

Old 06-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

OMG I love it! Its so classic. Your dh's is awesome, too. Great color.

After my 4th, my mom was like, you are done now right? I was like, uh, no, mom, I'm not.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

It's awesome Stephanie! And thanks for the link!! I'm moving to Austin soon and will be itching for another soon.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

They are both works of art!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would never get a tattoo since I don't think I could ever decide on a "forever" design (I'm a pathological waffler! ) Yours is beautiful though!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my! It's AWESOME!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It turned out wonderful! I love it!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by talktoheather View Post
It's awesome Stephanie! And thanks for the link!! I'm moving to Austin soon and will be itching for another soon.
Austin is definitely the place to be... We have shirts that say "Welcome to Austin. Be sure to leave" as people seem to move here in droves.