Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Default What would you do?

I have a dilemma - or so I think! I am debating re-doing some older LO's - they are pages that were some of my first ones. I feel that they are just not nice - and that my scrapping now - compared to then is much nicer. has anyone done this??
Please - help me decide - I am looking at about less tan 25 - 30 pages?
Yes or no - help me decide!!

Holly
Old 12-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's so personal really! Some people like to rescrap the layouts to reflect their current style. Keep in mind though that your style will likely to continue to change and evolve as time passes so layouts you do now will probably look outdated in the future. Some people choose to keep the old layouts because they show where they were as a scrapper at that point in time and still serve to tell the story of the photos.

Looking back at my old layouts, I have mixed feelings. I started digiscrapping in 2004. To put it quite simply, scrap kits were not then what they are now. Every element was very digital looking, scanned elements were almost non-existent at the time. Most papers had the same canned photoshop textures as well. We had a lot to learn about shadowing back then too. I look back at my layouts and I remember how amazing I thought they were at the time though and that makes me happy, but I still don't like them compared to my layouts now. Some of them I have, or will, rescrap. Others will be left as is. Those layouts that I am redoing are mostly ones where there was more story left to be told. Perhaps I didn't journal as much or left something important out. Perhaps the layout just didn't convey what I was going for and now I have a better idea of how to make it feel the way I want it to. Those are the ones that will be done again.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
It's so personal really! Some people like to rescrap the layouts to reflect their current style. Keep in mind though that your style will likely to continue to change and evolve as time passes so layouts you do now will probably look outdated in the future. Some people choose to keep the old layouts because they show where they were as a scrapper at that point in time and still serve to tell the story of the photos.

Looking back at my old layouts, I have mixed feelings. I started digiscrapping in 2004. To put it quite simply, scrap kits were not then what they are now. Every element was very digital looking, scanned elements were almost non-existent at the time. Most papers had the same canned photoshop textures as well. We had a lot to learn about shadowing back then too. I look back at my layouts and I remember how amazing I thought they were at the time though and that makes me happy, but I still don't like them compared to my layouts now. Some of them I have, or will, rescrap. Others will be left as is. Those layouts that I am redoing are mostly ones where there was more story left to be told. Perhaps I didn't journal as much or left something important out. Perhaps the layout just didn't convey what I was going for and now I have a better idea of how to make it feel the way I want it to. Those are the ones that will be done again.
Exactly what Sherri said! I've redone a few layouts, but only ones that I hadn't printed yet. I still have some older layouts to go through. In addition to the reasons that Sherri gave, I've also re-scrapped some photos from 2-page layouts onto a single page.

I'd say do whatever makes you happiest
Old 12-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I would say that if the old layout is doing a serious disservice to the photo... Like if you really really find it difficult to look past the page and see the photo, then redo it. otherwise, I say keep it as is and move on. Or like Sheri mentioned, rescrap it to tell a different part of the story.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm always in the re-do camp - especially with digi. I used to re-do paper layouts, sometimes 3 or 4 times. That being said, I have dozens of layouts I'm not thrilled with that are paper that I won't re-do, because I can stand them. With digi, I would definitely re-do anything I don't like.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'd say that if you are really unhappy about those earlier layouts and you have the time, then redo them. I, frankly, don't have the time to redo layouts; I have many, many new layouts that I would like to do first. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I agree that it is totally personal I have not neccessairly redone an actual LO, but I have rescrapped a photo or two or 50 LOL! I just discovered a whole stack of 8x8 pages I printed about 2 years ago, I can't wait to get them in albums and actually look at them!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'd redo in a heartbeat if I was not happy with a layout.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:48 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

for me its about the photo and the story. If I didn't do justice to either the first time, I will re-do it. I try to remember that sometime the photos and journaling are quite lovely, and that it was technical aspect that was "off". In those cases I try to leave it, because it shows my improvement.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How fun to hear everybody's point of view. I have to agree with Sherri. I barely have the time to scrap the first time so I can't imagine taking the time to rescrap. I say just move forward and use them to measure your progress!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Here's my personal scrapping schedule: the first part of the month, I work on NEW layouts - CT work, portfolio challenges all with pictures that haven't been scrapped yet. After the portfolio is done, I will do "extra" layouts such as tackling scraplifts and re-doing older layouts. I only re-do the ones that have pictures that really were important or special to me. I have a "Re-do folder" which currently houses 33 old layouts that were never printed. I still have a lot of layouts in my albums that I look at and think, "blech." I don't re-do because I want them in my current style, but because they deserve better. Even if it's just 2-3 a month, that's not a huge time commitment.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For me, I have sooo many photos that I have yet to even scrap yet, I wouldn't re-scrap a page, even if it looks a little goofy. Or at least I haven't yet. I feel like it is a good reminder of how far I have come as a digiscrapper, and at least those memories are in the book! I know that some of my pics will never even make it in there. But like others said, I suppose if you really find it difficult to look at the page LOL, I'd re-do it maybe. I actually like laughing at my first attempts, so wouldn't replace them for anything!
Old 12-16-2012, 11:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley View Post
For me, I have sooo many photos that I have yet to even scrap yet, I wouldn't re-scrap a page, even if it looks a little goofy. Or at least I haven't yet. I feel like it is a good reminder of how far I have come as a digiscrapper, and at least those memories are in the book! I know that some of my pics will never even make it in there. But like others said, I suppose if you really find it difficult to look at the page LOL, I'd re-do it maybe. I actually like laughing at my first attempts, so wouldn't replace them for anything!
This is me, too!! I have some paper ones that I just cringe at.... but if I sat down to redo them, I'd be thinking of all the photos and stories that are yet to be told... and sometimes I like to look back at the old layouts and think about where I was as a scrapper and the style of that "day"... it's amazing to see how far the industry has come in just a few short years...
Old 12-16-2012, 12:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

If you feel up to it - yes! I re-scrap pages all of the time. I cannot help it. When I am getting ready to print my pages, if I don't feel that immediate urge to print the page- I know I have to re-scrap it or I will never print. Sure my style may have change since I scrapped that page but if it doesn't look comparable to my others- I give in and re-do it completely and I have been very happy with the re-dos...lol!

Old 12-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
This is me, too!! I have some paper ones that I just cringe at.... but if I sat down to redo them, I'd be thinking of all the photos and stories that are yet to be told... and sometimes I like to look back at the old layouts and think about where I was as a scrapper and the style of that "day"... it's amazing to see how far the industry has come in just a few short years...
We looked at some of my older books last week. My son pulled out his baby books. Back then I was a paper scrapper. It was wonderful! Even though they are totally different from how I scrap now, I had so much fun looking at the older LO's. It not only brought up the memories within the pictures, but it also brought up memories of scrapping them. Where I was, what I was doing artistically at the time, how I felt when I was scrapping. I think if I redid those LO's I wouldn't have the reminders of those memories too.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:36 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I have a redo folder also. It's mostly the layouts that have pictures that I really love on layouts that I really hate. And, honestly, some of my redone layouts turn out to be favorites. It's worth it to redo it if it becomes a layout that you really love and will want to share with your family and loved ones.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've re-scrapped pages especially when I thought the original LOs were gastly ugly! LOL