Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Anyone have a kindle fire?

I'm trying to think of something to get for DH for his birthday. He has the older kindle already, which he likes, is it worth the upgrade? We currently have no tablet or ipad in the house......can it do most of the things that regular tablets do....can you surf the internet easily?
Are the apps on an android phone compatible with the kindle?

Also, I love that the older kindle is just like reading on paper, no glare etc.......is the new kindle like that as well for reading books?

DH already has a samsung galaxy which he uses a lot for apps and internet stuff, would the kindle fire be similar to something like this with a bigger screen?

Thanks for any help...i'm clueless!!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

We have a bunch of Kindles in the house.

The original Fire sucked. Lots of problems with charging and freezing, etc. It was pretty glitchy.

The Kindle Fire HD is really awesome. I personally think it's as good as the ipad and I like the smaller size. The cover that Amazon has created for it is terrific too, so I would highly recommend getting one of those too even though they are pricey! I like the previous generation more than the new origami cases.

All of your android apps are compatible with the kindle.

If you're interested in reading, I cant recommend the Kindle Paperwhite enough. I actually had the FireHD originally and Katie wanted one for her birthday so I gave her my Fire HD and ordered a paperwhite for myself because I mostly want to read on mine. I couldn't be happier. It's beautiful to read, compact and just awesome!

I dont think you can go wrong as they are perfectly priced, awesome quality gifts for just about anyone!

R
Old 11-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

dh and I recently got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablets and are in love. Since my dh has the galaxy phone (like yours does) he is in awe that it is essentially exactly the same but without the phone and its bigger. We went for the 8 inch and it is much lighter than a Kindle and the internet is far superb to the fire, it also does email better etc....and its about the same price I think? The tablet was 279 at Best Buy. I have since given my kid the fire since hers broke .... twice.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Kindle 2, Kindle 3, and Kindle Fire 2. Dh has a Kindle 3 and Kindle Fire 1. We both love our kindles and fires, and use them all quite frequently. If you are wanting a tablet, I';d suggest the HD, as its really nice to use and great, but it doesn't replace the e-ink versions at all.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I love my Kindle Fire, but it does suck on internet access. Plus the fact that so many places here are removing wifi access, which the Kindle Fire relies on. It's also just cumbersome to surf with. I use it for reading and Netflix all the time now, and rarely pick up my original K3 (I left that one to the boys). I don't like reading from it in bright sunlight because of the glare, but then I just pull out the K3 for that.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The only problem my DH says about the Fire vs the standard kindle (which he had before the Fire) is that he is now easily distracted with the fire to search the web/using apps that he doesn't read as much as he used when it was just the kindle.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

DH loves his! I surprised him for his birthday. He did root it so now it looks just like his Android phone and you can get apps from the Google Play store.

We love the parental controls on it that limit time playing, and watch our Amazon Prime shows all the time.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Unless you are buying the kindle fire through the states canada's kindle fire is a LOT different than theirs (i think!) (i may be out to lunch and not know what i'm talking about though)
Old 11-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Yeah Cindy, actually, after reading some canadian reviews of the Fire, it does sound like you're going to have to do your research on whether or not it will be a good buy for you.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Well, that's annoying! LOL But it doesn't surprise me!!
Thanks for the information everyone!
Old 11-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I have the original Kindle Fire and have for 2 years and it sucks when it comes to the charging part, but I totally want to upgrade and I already ordered myself the big Nook for Christmas LOL!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we had one for one of my boys' therapy and it was stolen We miss it a lot! I would def get one. They're awesome! Though we didnt' do much with it except play kid apps so....

Old 11-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
we had one for one of my boys' therapy and it was stolen We miss it a lot! I would def get one. They're awesome! Though we didnt' do much with it except play kid apps so....
that is horrible
Old 11-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I looked at the Kindles a while back but didn't get one because it didn't have a forward-facing camera, so you couldn't use it to Skype (we Skype relatives a lot). Perhaps they have that now?
Old 11-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Paperwhites are awesome for reading. Fire is good for playing games and watching Amazon Prime. We have three Kindle Fire HD and it's mainly used for games/videos. I adore my Paperwhite and honestly, I'm reading a real paper book right now and I miss my Paperwhite so much right now. It is the best for reading!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have the Kindle Fire HD...I love it...never leave home without it. I'm thinking of getting both of my kids one for Christmas so that they will leave mine alone. LOL!

Old 11-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

We bought my daughter one and she never picks it up she wanted to play on the ipad, I would go for the ipad mini over the fire, I am thinking of selling the fire it sits in a drawer and hasnt been messed with in 6 months