Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default What are your kids up to this summer?

Summer break is here in AZ and once again, my kids are doing completely opposite things. My son has gone to summer camp for as long as I can remember and now he is "working" there for the summer as a junior counselor. My daughter usually lounges around during the summer (or does some light volunteering). This summer, she's looking for a job (but not looking too hard as far as I can tell! )

What are your kids up to this summer?
Old 06-03-2017, 02:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Unfortunately, my son is (a) 3 years old and (b) not potty-trained so he can't do anything cool this summer on his own.

My daughter always has a full summer schedule: family vacation (with us) in 2 weeks to Mammoth Cave, KY, soccer camp the week after, going to her grandparents' house the week after that, FOJ weekend (with us) at BIL's lake house in TN, day camp the week after that, swim lessons the two weeks after that, Vacation Bible School the week after that, and then it's the week before school starts + her birthday so we'll hit the state fair, have a birthday party, and then be ready for school to start!
Old 06-03-2017, 04:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
My daughter always has a full summer schedule: family vacation (with us) in 2 weeks to Mammoth Cave, KY, soccer camp the week after, going to her grandparents' house the week after that, FOJ weekend (with us) at BIL's lake house in TN, day camp the week after that, swim lessons the two weeks after that, Vacation Bible School the week after that, and then it's the week before school starts + her birthday so we'll hit the state fair, have a birthday party, and then be ready for school to start!
Holy cow! she is going to be one busy girl. How fun!
Old 06-03-2017, 05:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My kids are lazy and I work four 10-hour days during the summer so they will be doing a whole lot of nothing. We will generally do something together on Fridays.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have summers off (teacher ) so that makes it easier. They'll all have scheduled activities and some free time in June and July and then spend August relaxing. (They don't get out until late June, and they go back to school the end of August.)

My 8 year old likes to be busy, so she's going to 5 weeks of summer camps (a 2 week drama camp, a 1 week art camp, and 2 weeks of a typical summer camp). My 11 year old will do 2 weeks of a camp for kids on the autism spectrum and 3 weeks of half day summer school. My 13 year old has 3 weeks of technology and engineering camps and will spend 1 week visiting my parents in Connecticut. In August we'll be away in the mountains for a week with my extended family and will spend a long weekend at the beach. The other 4 or so weeks of summer we'll just hang out, go to the pool, and find local things to do.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We homeschool year round, but in the summer I try to do more fun units like doing more science experiments and math games. Otherwise, we have another trip planned at the end of the month for Salt Lake City... Jake has tennis lessons and Vacation Bible School (all day, once a month). Nothing else set up.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Marching band and soccer. All. . .summer. . .long. My younger one plans on lots of jammie time and hanging with friends (takes after her mom).
Old 06-03-2017, 08:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

WE ARE SO BORED.

We are one week into summer break, and all we've done is play the XBox, watch Netflix & swim. The Philippines has summer break in April & May, but we are on an American schedule, so there aren't any fun activities now that the PI has gone back to school. : ( Fortunately we're going to Thailand for a conference in a couple of weeks, and the boys will go to camp & Joel, Ari & I will go to Laos to visit friends, so at least we have something to look forward to.

But for right now I feel like a terrible mom and wish I could keep to a schedule.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cheyanne has been working at Walmart since March and her hours will be increasing once she's done with final exams on the 16th. She's also volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House and also at Spruce Run (a shelter for women and their children who are victims of domestic violence - she has the goal of getting her PhD in psychology and becoming a trauma counselor for children). She'll also be working on her college application essays and narrowing down her choice of schools to apply to this coming fall. We have a couple college tours left to do this summer also. We will be taking a week to spend at our place on the lake in mid August, her senior pics at the end of August, and a trip to Boston for some shopping.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:49 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My boys are 18 and 15. They work a few days a week in summer.the oldest in the farmacie of his dad. The youngest in his restaurant.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My stepdaughter just finished her sophomore year at Baylor, and has decided to stay in Waco through the summer so she can work two jobs and bank $ for her part of her tuition in the fall. Her dad and I are tremendously proud of her for being responsible, but I'm more than a little sad we won't get girl-time throughout the summer, and that we won't be doing a family vacation this year. So this is our first summer without her, and I'll be doing my best to stay busy and not think about how much I'm missing her...

Old 06-04-2017, 11:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love hearing everyone's different activities When my kids were little they basically just played and I'm that no-schedule kind of mom so they were up ridiculously late and slept in till I couldn't stand it any longer, lol!

My 18 year olds are just working, as far as i know, although Johnny (my bio kid) is coming out to visit me in July. SQUEE!!!!!! Eden will be FIFTEEN this summer, which blows my mind. She doesnt get out out school till 2 weeks into June. She'll have a week off, then go to camp for a week, then is coming out to Colorado to spend all of July with me (double SQUEE!) then spend a couple weeks in August back in Michigan doing summer nothingness and hanging out with her friends.

I am SO excited about her being here that I already have a literal list of things that I want us to do. lol!
Old 06-04-2017, 12:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My daughter & I also came up with a bucket list for this summer and then had my parents, my sister, & my nephew mark which activities they wanted to do with us.

-- go to the beach (already done!)
-- go to the splashpad
-- go to the local ice cream place
-- go to Putt-Putt
-- go strawberry picking
-- have a BBQ & bonfire
-- celebrate family summer birthdays (this one was very important since hers is in August )
-- go to Columbus Zoo
-- play outside (already done x 10)
-- go to the local zoo
-- Vacation Bible School
-- plant flowers
-- go to the drive-in movie
-- go to the county/state fair & ride rides

I am scrapping a page abt it right now.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Both of my girls are competitive gymnasts, so training increases during the summer. They'll be at the gym Mon-Thur from 11:30-4:30. Mornings and evenings are spent sleeping in and running around the neighborhood with friends.

Friday and weekends will be the pool and other things we may find (zoo, museums, downtown shopping, etc.). They're each doing a camp in August, and we're planning 2 short trips in the tri-state area as well. That's about it. Mostly we just enjoy the more relaxed schedule.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochelle789 View Post
Both of my girls are competitive gymnasts, so training increases during the summer. They'll be at the gym Mon-Thur from 11:30-4:30. Mornings and evenings are spent sleeping in and running around the neighborhood with friends.

Friday and weekends will be the pool and other things we may find (zoo, museums, downtown shopping, etc.). They're each doing a camp in August, and we're planning 2 short trips in the tri-state area as well. That's about it. Mostly we just enjoy the more relaxed schedule.
These competitive sport schedules always amaze me. My daughter was interested in competitive cheer for a while and they essentially said we couldn't take a vacation during the summer, fall break or spring break -- seems it was always training time or competition time. We love to travel so this was basically a non-starter for us. I know some kids and families love the intensity of these programs though!
Old 06-06-2017, 01:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

my son is 19 and has been back at work since the day after he arrived home from college being done (goes away for school). He works two different jobs for the same company, maintenance during the week and then on the marina weekends, puts in 50+ hours a week. He was also called again to umpire baseball but with the other two jobs he already had it was just too much but he told them he would go on an emergency list. Umpiring was his 'first' summer job at 13 and this is the first summer he is not doing any of it.

He is going camping the end of June with his dad and stepmother for a weekend and then going to some big concert festival thing with his buddies in July for a couple of days. Other than that he will sleep and hang out with buddies when time allows.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest (15) left school two weeks earlier and went down to Texas. She will be there until the weekend before school starts (August 15)

My middle (13) is packing to spend a week at my IL's and then 6 weeks at my parents. She'll be back the week before school starts (August 10)

The youngest (4) we are going to enjoy one another. Head over to Peterson, have a picnic and watch the planes take off/land. If not, we'll head somewhere free every week (maybe Garden of the Gods, Focus on the Family). He's currently doing his first VBS this week!

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 06-06-2017 at 09:12 PM.